Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Frankenstein

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. School has me swamped.

This week I finished reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and wrote an essay about it. The essay was more of an explanation about how the Enlightenment was portrayed in her book. Apparently, Frankenstein is supposed to depict the French Revolution and the Enlightenment period. *yawns* =)

From a purely historical perspective, the book interests me ... but not THAT much. The Enlightenment is an interesting period in which much good resulted. But I can't overlook the deemphasis of religion stemming from the Enlightenment. I think Academia views the Enlightenment like us Reformed folk view the Reformation. To the secular education system, the Enlightenment represents some kind of extreme naturalism, almost to the exclusion of the supernatural.

But I finished my essay, and did fairly well on it if I do say so myself. Now I have another book to read, aaaand another essay to write. Due Friday. *gasp* Not to worry - I'll get 'er done!

Yay for creatures formed from reanimated flesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home