Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Way Ahead of the Game

Reformation Day (aka Halloween) is rapidly approaching: October 31st. This is the third year I will be dressing up since I was a wee lad. Martin Luther, Anakin Skywalker from ROTS:



and now Harry Potter. But I'm not just doing the common school robes costume, I'm going in Harry's Quidditch uniform:



As of now, I have Quidditch goggles, replica glasses, a wig (yea - never again will I do hair extensions!), the Gryffindor Quidditch sweater, replica of Harry's wand, Quidditch shoes - which I am overly impressed with, a handcrafted Nimbus 2000 broom (that needs some minor adjustments), a Gryffindor Quidditch patch for the sweater and another for the robe.

Christina is making the robe for me. I still need to buy the pants, socks and scar paint.

There is only one part of my costume I am worried about: the Quidditch guards - gloves, forearms, knees and shins. The best idea I've got right now is to buy some cricket shin guards, skating knee pads, football forearm guards and sew some vinyl onto each piece. I have no idea what to do about the gloves yet. If you have any ideas at all, please let me know. Keep in mind that I am going for a realistic look here. Oh, and I am aware of the "children's Quidditch kit" which includes all this, but is too small for adults (I've checked) *grin*

Here's what it should look like when I'm done:




Anyone else dressing up? You've still got plenty of time ... get crackin =)

Case of Base

4 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger tired said...

Or you can just grow your hair out. ;)

The gloves in the top picture look different than the others and I don't have a clue how you'd make them. You'd need the same material you use for your leggings. I'm at a loss beyond that.

But I think you could make the bottom gloves by getting a pair of leather gloves and chopping off the fingers above the knuckle. It looks like they might be layered with material on top of the hands; you can emulate that by cutting up an old baseball glove accordingly. You could borrow the buckles from coat sleeves or maybe buy them from a craft store.

Then you affix it all to the gloves with glue or stick-on velcro. The annoying parts would be matching the color and cutting up the baseball glove (or whatever your chosen source for leather).

Or that's how I'd try to go about it, anyway, but I never get through anything like this without major planning modifications. :)

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you looked AWESOME last year, I have all the confidence that you will look even MORE AWESOME this year as Harry...can't wait to see you in your costume chico!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

I'm glad you're having fun designing this costume and I agree. . . you did look pretty good last year.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok now its december, but im pondering about the quidditch shoes, i have everything (the school uniform and quidditch uniform, broom, wand, ect.) in Ravenclaw styles of course (go ravenclaw) and its a different wand because i am my own character. please leave another comment on this particular page and tell me where you got the quidditch shoes thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home