Wednesday, August 31, 2005

My Psycho "I'm a Feminist Who Enjoys Shoving My Feminism Down Your Throat" Professor

Tuesdays/Thursdays I'm taking Asian Civilizations. Honestly, this wasn't a class I was looking forward to. Asian history just doesn't interest me all that much.

Anywho, my little tale brings us back to the first day of class ... everyone is scrambling into class, satisfied that they know the room location, and settle down into their seats. Conversations break out all over the room (including me). The professor didn't appear to be in the class, so my convo was getting pretty in-depth. Five minutes goes by ... no professor. Ten minutes. TWENTY MINUTES - still nothin. People start to whisper, "Isn't there a five minute rule or something? After five minutes if the professor doesn't show up, we go home?" Right then about half the class gets up to leave. Not two minutes later they all march back in, followed by the professor =).

She apologizes for being late and starts class. She looks like a young lady, maybe 27. Just finishing up her Master's degree. Overall nice person, or so I thought.

Her specialty is over French history (yea ... great - please, sense the sarcasm). So she's telling us about the French Revolution (keep in mind that this is ASIAN CIV) and about how people were in an uproar over women joining the workforce. People thought the world would come to an end if women started working. There would be no difference between the male and female genders, etc. Well, some guy in class was nodding his head (probably sarcastically), as if to say that he agreed that women shouldn't be working.

Unfortunately my professor caught sight of this guy and burst out at the top of her lungs: "NO! NOOOO! I WILL HAVE NONE OF THAT IN MY CLASSROOM!!!" (She points at him while taking steps in his direction). "I AM A FEMINIST, AND YOU WILL NOT BE TOLERATED ... I GET TO LECTURE YOU, AND TELL YOU MY IDEAS, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! ANY MORE OF THAT AND YOU ARE GONE FROM THIS CLASSROOM, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?!"

In utter shock, I turn to the girl on my left and ask what the heak that was all about?

Anywho, just thought I'd share this little outburst with you =).

2 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She would not have enjoyed me in her classroom one bit. I'll gladly take an expulsion over a battle in the arena of ideas.

"Excuse me, Psycho Feminist Prof, I have a question for you. If you are lecturing us for the purpose of spreading your ideas, and will not allow the possibility of questioning in order to understand your presuppositions and thoughts, are you no different than those you label as fundamentalists who you claim do the same? Is this not the arena of ideas, and the freeflowing of disagreement by which we can make this a better place? Or is it more likely that you are so insecure in your beliefs that they cannot withstand a debate?"

Gob expelled...

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Great comment gobbler! I would love to see her reaction to a question like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home