Friday, August 05, 2005

"They met on a beach..."



"They met on a beach when they were very young, brassy C. C. Bloom (Bette Midler) and classy Hillary Whitney (Barbara Hershey). Through good times and bad times, through broken marriages and budding careers, they still had each other. And together they would face their greatest challenge...as only best friends could. Hershey is splendid, and Midler will astound you all over again with her comedic and musical talents in this critically acclaimed box office smash. Beaches glows with warmth, humor and tenderness... This is one friendship you'll enjoy every minute of."

My friends, I have some frightfully terrifying news to share with you: I have agreed to watch "Beaches;" the whole movie, uninterrupted. I shall attempt to set aside my masculinity for a brief period of time so that I might enjoy this classic 80's chick flick.

By now you are hopefully worried and very concerned about CoB (me) - and with good reason! I mean, single, college guys ought not to watch such things. They might be scarred for life!

Why O why am I going to watch this movie? Smashing question! Weeeeeeeell, Olivia and I made an agreement at our church's prayer meeting last week. The agreement was, and I quote: "Casey, if you can watch 'Beaches' all the way through, then I will watch all six of the Star Wars films." There are two reasons why I accepted the deal: (1) First and foremost, for my dear brother Warren, Olivia's husband. I would like for Warren to be able to enjoy the glory and majesty of the Star Wars Saga with his wife. I am willing to suffer so that Mr. and Mrs. Smith can watch SW as a family. (2) So Olivia can experience for the first time that galaxy far, far away (and yes, a long time ago).

As I attempt this truly amazing feat, there is one piece of advice that will guide me through this difficult time ... any ideas what that might be? You guessed it: "No! Do. Or do not. There is no try" -- Yoda, Jedi Master. Thank you Master Yoda, I will accomplish this great task, and will become a better man because of it.

Pray for me,
Case of Base

3 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother, never, NEVER set aside your masculinity! You will need to watch Rocky movies 1-4 (skip #5)after watching Beaches so as to purge the "chickiness" from your soul otherwise the next thing you will find yourself doing is curling up with a large pillow, a big furry cat and watching Legally Blonde 1 & 2! Sad. Very sad!

I must thank you for watching Beaches for my sake, Brother. I will enjoy the Star Wars series with my wife now thanks to you.

Warren (aka: Mr.Smith) :-)

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Lockheed said...

I've heard about the emasculization of the church but this tops everything! By the way, you are the wind beneath my wings.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Hobster said...

ohh, buddy! I'm...so...sorry.

It's my wife's favorite movie, had to sit through it once while engaged. But have steadfastly refused to to it again.

Taking a bullet for Warren might be easier...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home