Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Finally, Scholarships for Whites

Boston University’s College Republicans have done the most brilliant thing I have ever heard of. They are offering a white scholarship. Yes, you heard me right: a scholarship for white people. You must be at least 25% Caucasian to apply for the scholarship.

I can already hear the screeching liberals: “You racist, white-supremacists! How do you get off making a white scholarship?!”

If you didn’t already know, the purpose of the scholarship is not to give whites some new scholarship. The real purpose is to draw attention to how silly it is that there are special privileges for minorities. Shouldn’t scholarships and job hiring be based on ability and not on what ethnicity you are?

“"Did we do this to give a scholarship to white kids? Of course not," the scholarship reads. "Did we do it to trigger a discussion on what we believe to be the morally wrong practice of basing decisions in our schools and our jobs on racial preferences rather than merit? Absolutely."” Click HERE to read the article.

Btw, when Education students discuss why there aren’t white scholarships (oh yes, we have talked about this many times), they are oh-so-easy to accuse conservatives of being racist. “But, minorities just need a helping hand! Whites don’t need any help!” they exclaim. “What minorities need is to be treated like normal people,” I reply. They cannot see that favoring anyone based on ethnicity is wrong – I prefer not to accuse liberals of racism, because I don’t believe they value minorities less than whites.

What’s happened in America is a strong over-reaction against racism. Some of the things we’ve done have actually become bad things … like ethnic scholarships and government mandated equal opportunity laws. Buuuuut, this is a discussion for another time.

Honestly, I don’t believe there is an ounce of racism in my body. Drat. There I go again. Another discussion for another time. Soon perhaps. =)

Rusty

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

Thanks hysterical.

You and I are on the same page with the racism thing Case. I unfortunately have offended some people with my stance on racism, it was probably my presentation of the issue rather than my actual opinion, so I was probably wrong.

I love people, all type of people, fat people, skinny people, gal people, guy people, black people, (legal) immigrant people (haha), every people.


Except the dutch...

jk

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That is amazing. I actually sat in with one of the people who are in charge of loans and grants...she asked me a serious of questions...race:totally white, age: ok,....then when we got to the end she concluded with "what a pity, your white, no children, and your not married plus you make more then 15,000 a year. You will probably have to get a loan." So I think what they are doing is great!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

I totally relate! I applied for a ton of scholarships my senior year in high school and I couldn't get any except one for academics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home