Saturday, November 18, 2006

Name That Heresy

Me: “Does God exhaustively know the future?”

Nate: “I do not believe that God is ever surprised.”

Me: “So, God exhaustively knows all future events?”

Nate: “He knows all that could ever happen.”

Me: “But does God actually know, with perfect certainty, the future?”

Nate: “I don’t believe the Scriptures are clear enough to give us that answer.”

The announcer walks out to center stage and begins to speak into the microphone, “Iiiiiiiiiiiiiit’s time to play ‘Name that heresy!’”

So, any guesses? Don’t cheat by reading ahead. What common heresy teaches that God is limited in His knowledge of the future?

[Insert the Jeopardy theme HERE]

… … … … … … …

Okay. Time’s up.

The answer: Open Theism.

While working at Bucks this week I ran into an Open Theist pastor I spoke with three years ago. Once I got off the clock, I sat down next to him and we began talking. It wasn’t long until I asked him if he was still an Open Theist. He told me he is. I then offered to set up a time to talk with him again about the Bible’s teaching of God’s exhaustive knowledge of the future, predestination, and the gospel.

It was a fairly decent conversation. He wanted to talk a lot about (worldly) philosophy that he’s studied. What he did not want to do is engage the Scripture when it talks about God’s knowledge of the future – I wonder why =). He repeatedly denied Sola Scriptura by arguing that the Scripture can give more than one true meaning on a given subject. This, then, excuses one from having to deal with this (or any) issue. Like most Open Theists, he is much more charitable to non-Open Theists in that he considers those of us who believe in a meaningful view of predestination are included in the family of God. I, on the other hand, do not include Open Theists in the kingdom of God. The reason being that the god of Open Theism is not the God of the Bible. My God knows the future, exhaustively. Also, without this essential aspect of God’s being, there can be no meaningful view of the atonement.

In the famous Trial of the False Gods, found in Isaiah 40-50, one of the arguments the Lord makes against false gods is that they cannot declare what will happen in the future:

Isaiah 41:22-23, “22 Let them bring forth and declare to us what is going to take place; As for the former events, declare what they were, That we may consider them and know their outcome. Or announce to us what is coming; 23 Declare the things that are going to come afterward, That we may know that you are gods; Indeed, do good or evil, that we may anxiously look about us and fear together.” (NASB).

If these gods were able to tell us the future, they would prove their existence as true gods. Failure to proclaim the future would prove them as false gods. I think a strong argument can be made that any true god knows the future – aaand since there is only one true God, He knows the future. Simple, but sweet.

Pray for Nate. Might our Lord be merciful to him and grant to him repentance unto life. Also pray for Nate’s church – a Baptist church. If our Lord so chooses, would He deliver his congregation from this false teacher and his deceptive teachings. The Lord of time can certainly do all this and more, so let us be faithful in our prayers to our all-sovereign King over creation.

Casey

P.S. - I'd still love to hear feedback from the audience about the discussion question in the Thomas Paine entry ... (I know, talk about a guilt trip - gooOSH) =)

9 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Dre said...

Hey buddy, Its dre from MD... hope things are well in the dessert. Hopefully Becca and I will be out there soon... have an iced solo ready for me :-)

-dre and bec

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Very clever opening! Name that heresy...hilarious (well, in actuality, not that hilarious, very sad.) It is so sad to see someone say they believe something and NOT be able to back it with scripture....but isn't it all about the CONVERSATION anyways?(talk about an emergent response) No, it's not that it works for this person so it is truth, it is that God's word is truth, therefore it doesn't matter if it "works" for an individual or not. I don't know if anything I have written makes sense, so I am going to stop here!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Well, your intringing intro actually caused me to read the entirtey (no clue how to spell or if actually real word...but I like it and it suits my purpose so I will use it anyways)of your blog. Way to trick me into thinking! JK. I actually don't close to nothing about what you talk about but I will thank you for indulging my mind in some though processing on occasion. Thanks Casey (aka X-Swing Kid)

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger kletois said...

It's hard to play 'name that heresy' when the answer is 3 lines below the question! Anyway, I got this one right, sadly its a rather common heresy amongst the pew sitters.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Hey Casey,

you got any further reading on the issue of God's foreknowledge/omniscience? I'd appreciate a link or so.

I do have one question, and I hope its see as the honest question it i. When you said

" I, on the other hand, do not include Open Theists in the kingdom of God. The reason being that the god of Open Theism is not the God of the Bible. "

Can't a fellow say that God is not completely knowable, therefore we should take heed as to what we claim him to be?

Just an honest question. Thanks for the good reading, by the way, it was part of the numerous words and paragraphs that kept me sane in Iraq!
Adam

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

Adam,

I would recommend John Frame's book "No Other God: A Response to Open Theism."

You asked a great question: "Can't a fellow say that God is not completely knowable, therefore we should take heed as to what we claim him to be?"

If you are asking whether a true Christian can believe that God does not have exhaustive knowledge of the future, then the simple answer is: no. A true Christian believes that God has complete and total knowledge of the future. The god of Open Theism is not the God of Christianity. According to Open Theists, God's lack of future knowledge means that He learns information passively, and therefore, changes. The God of Scripture does not change.

Anywho, that's a start. Frame's book is excellent. You'd enjoy it.

Case

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger kletois said...

"Can't a fellow say that God is not completely knowable, therefore we should take heed as to what we claim him to be?"

While God is not completely knowable, God has revealed Himself to us in scripture and in Christ. We therefore take heed to what He claims Himself to be. God claims to know the future perfectly. Who are we to argue otherwise?

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

Oh! I got it right!

/me high-fives himself.

Adam - I agree with Casey. While it is true that we can not exhaustively know the entirety of God's character and purposes, anything that is contrary to what IS REVEALED about Him will be a different God. The Isaiah passage that Rusty quoted is the prime example. Oh, and I hear you're back, let's hang man!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

A god who doesn't know the future. Wow, that is scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home