Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The greatest thing you'll ever learn

Last week I saw The Moulin Rouge for the first time. Once I discovered that Ewan McGreggor was a lead actor, I knew I had to see it. Nicole Kidman also, but Ewan walked away as the star.

The only way I can describe the movie is to compare it to a broadway show. It’s a little bit strange, but has some amazing moments. The movie is about love. Ewan’s character (Christian) falls in love with Satin (Kidman), and they go on for about an hour and a half like that.

What is incredible is that Ewan and Nicole recorded their own songs. By far my favorite song was one that Christian sang to Satin titled “Your Song.” Read some of these gorgeous lyrics:

“My gift is my song
And this one's for you
And you can tell everybody
That this is your song
It may be quite simple
But now that it's done
Hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is now you're in the world”

and then

“Anyway the thing is well I really mean,
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen”

Good stuff, eh?

What’s refreshing about The Moulin Rouge is that love is portrayed in such a positive light. The moral of the story is summed up in a single line: “The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” As a Christian, I recognize that the greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love [God] and be loved [by God] in return. But, the point I can agree with the film is that love between a man and a woman is a wonderful thing.

Before you see this movie, be prepared to get past strong sensuality, and near the beginning a lot of half-naked prostitute-dressed actors from the 1900’s. If you can get past all that, you will probably enjoy the movie. So watch with caution.

Finally, can I just add that Ewan McGreggor is the man. You’ll understand after you see this movie.

That’s it for now, but … the show must go on…

Case

1 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

Hannah, yea it really does take some mental energy to not focus on some of those "prostituty" parts. But the good scenes are really good. Just romantic, plain and simple. And I'm a sucker for that stuff =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home