Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Making a mockery of God

Tonight was a good night. I exchanged a DVD at Costco and ended up leaving with more than I had intended - isn't that how it always happens? =). I then went to do some homework at Stapley Bucks. Cathy called, that was fun. Then it was back to the books. Shortly thereafter I finished my homework, and picked up Piper's book Counted Righteous In Christ - Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?. It's a marvelous book! How refreshing to read a positive defense of the gospel after reading Mark Seifrid's mockery of the doctrine of imputation.

Weeeell, while I was reading, Stephanie, a friend from high skewl, came over to say hi. Stephanie is a Christian, and we each shared about our walks with the Lord. Eventually she asked what I was reading. As I passionately began explaining the work to her, Stephanie's friend joined us at my table. I caught her up to what Stephanie and I had been discussing, and continued. As I began reading Romans 4 to them, Steph's friend interrupted me and asks, "Umm, do you believe in prophecy?"

I had no idea what relevance this had to do with our conversation. Furthermore, I wasn't in the mood to have this discussion at 10:30pm (I think my internal clock shuts down my desire to debate after a certain time). But she pressed the issue, so I asked her what she meant. She said to me, "Do you believe that God speaks to us through people by communicating a Word directly?" I explained my belief in Sola Scriptura; that today God speaks to His Church through the Scriptures.

Again she interrupted me, this time by putting a finger over her mouth ... "shhhhhhhhhhhhh," she said. I was taken aback at the absurdity of this situation. I asked why she continued to interrupt me. "shhhhhhhhhh," she responded ... "God is giving me a prophecy for you... I'm trying to listen." I sat there, totally confused about what could possibly be going on in her head.

After a long moment, she finally came to: "God . . . wants you to stop your 'rigidity' . . . He has so much more for you . . . He wants you to be broken before Him . . . He is telling me that there is more than the Scriptures for you . . . and to let the Spirit work in your life . . . He has great things planned for you..."

There are no words to express what I felt. I was offended, deeply offended. Here is some girl that I have never met claiming to receive direct revelation from the Lord God. Moreover, her prophecy was directing me away from the Scriptures.

I asked if I could respond without her interrupting me. I opened up to 2 Timothy 3 and began reading at verse 14. Before I got to verse 16 she stood up and burst outside. I was speechless. I could not believe what just happened. I turned around slowly to see where she was - she was standing just outside, about 10 feet from the door. After about 30 seconds she shuffled back in and sat down at my table. I immediately asked her, "What in the world was that all about?" She smiled and said, "I didn't know what to say, so the Spirit directed me to go outside." I tried to think of the kindest possible way to respond ... "If you do that again, this conversation is over" I finally replied.

Her tactics from this point on were completely dependent on subjectivism. She repeated her mantra of "trusting her feelings," as if this were somehow a sound argument? I, on the other hand, pressed her for an argument from Scripture to demonstrate that God continues to speak to His people apart from the Scriptures. She then closed my Bible and coldly said to me, "I don't expect you to believe a word that I am saying to you. I don't know the Bible that well, but I know that God speaks to me, and wants to speak to you. Whether you believe what God has said to you tonight is irrelevant. It isn't my job to convince you, only the Spirit can convince you that He wants to speak to you."

When she finished, she stood up as if to leave. I asked if I could respond to her rebuke, and said, "Assuming that your pressuposition is true about God continuing to give revelation apart from the Scriptures, I would test your prophecy by the Scriptures. By examining your alleged prophecy, you have proven yourself to be a false prophetess. You inform me that God's Word is not sufficient, and you have done this by pointing me to revelation that is not found in the written Word of God. You then claim God told you that the Spirit is not presently working in my life - again you are horribly mistaken. The Bible is very clear that God will not go against His Word. So then, by claiming that God has told you that there is more than the Scriptures, you again prove your status as a false prophetess. Your actions tonight have made a mockery of God. You claim to receive revelation, when in fact you have received none. This can mean one of two things: (1) You are receiving revelation from the Devil and/or his demons, or (2) you are a liar. Your greatest error is that you are not grounded in the Scriptures. I am amazed that in all of our interaction tonight you have not cited one verse from God's inspired revelation. My charge to you is to repent from your sin of claiming divine relvation, when indeed, you are not. I also ask that you read the Scriptures - in particular the text that you walked out on: 2 Timothy 3:14-17."

We all left Starbucks tonight amazed at each other's actions. Stephanie's friend was amazed that I did not gladly receive her prophecy. I imagine she was also amazed that I continued to cite Scripture in response to her "feel the Spirit" arguments (a view analogous to the Latter-day Saints). I was amazed that someone would make such a complete mockery of God and His Word. For goodness sakes, the thrust of her false prophecy encouraged me to lessen my view of the Scriptures!

I hope that she noticed that I was offended tonight. Because I was, very much so. When you claim to be a prophet(ess), you better stand up to the test of Scripture.

Deuteronomy 18:20-22: " But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.' 21 "You may say in your heart, 'How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?' 22 "When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him."


Isaiah 8:20: "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn."


These are some serious warnings! You had better take the Lord Almighty seriously. Speaking in His name isn't a joke, and should not be done presumptuously. God will not be mocked. My prayer for Stephanie's friend is that she learns what it means to fear the Lord. Otherwise she better prepare herself to face the judgments of God, which are a terrible thing.

Steve Camp has a wonderful song titled "Here I Stand." I know, people generally never read songs when they are posted on a blog, but I encourage you to read this one. It is relevant to my entry, and should be an encouragement to God's people.

"The grass withers, flowers fade away, but the Word of God shall stand forever. Though enemies of the cross attack it from age to age, there is no stone it cannot whether. It's all we ever need for life and godliness. This Word has saved our souls, delivered us from death.

Here I stand, upon the once for all delivered faith. On the Word. Here I stand, never changing one command. On the pure sufficient Word of God. Here I stand.

Our people trust in visions, they claim to receive. Others build their faith upon their feelings. The prophetic Word made more sure is righteous, true and clean, without it our experience means nothing. The Word that God has spoken is final and is proved, and all who place their faith in it shall never be moved.

Here I stand, upon the once for all delivered faith. On the Word. Here I stand, never changing one command. On the pure sufficient Word of God. Here I stand.

The Word of God is living, shaper than any sword. It's not the tales of men, but the Word of the Lord."


I will conclude this entry with one of my favorite passages of Scripture: Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

Amen.

This is Case of Base, signing off

7 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger MarieP said...

Rusty,

Wow, I'm saddened over Stephanie's friend, but I rejoice in how God used you so powerfully in standing up for the sufficiency of Scripture.

Stephanie's friend is in my prayers as well. God bless you, bro.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did your friend from high school think?

Do I know Stephanie? Presumably we went to school together, but I can't put a face to the name.

-Tucson Taco

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger rustypth said...

Stephanie left during the prophesy to answer her phone. She was gone the rest of our convo.

You would recognize Stephanie, but her last name escapes me at the moment. Her dad is the pastor of a church in Gilbert. ... *shrugs shoulders*

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger FX Turk said...

Rusty:

Piper's exposition/exegesis of Romans 9 is the best there is. Booyah.

As for ProphecyGirl's inability to formulate an argument, that's PoMo, bro. She might as well have been listening to ancient sanscrit because she wasn't interested in an argument: she was interested in an experience. The only validator for someone like her is experience, and unfortunately experience excludes reasonable discussions.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Yikes Casey,

But isn't so refreshing when you have real Scripture to back you up. Praise the name of the Lord who has given us all that we need for life and Godliness, and that God promises that every last word and iota of the scripture is true. Sola Scriptura, Brent

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Casey,

I'm a friend of Stephanie's who you've met a few times at Starbucks. When she told me this story, I couldn't believe it. Reading your version was even more disturbing. This kind of "prophesy" has been making it's way around our groups and circles, and causing turmoil and division in our churches. I will call it what it is: Deception. Please pray for Stephanie, her father, and all the rest of us that continue to speak out against it and are crticized. It makes me cringe to think... If fellow believers are shocked and appalled by these "prophesies", what must the unbelievers think? No wonder so many people think Christians are total lunatics. Can you blame them?

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,
I'm very glad that you spoke the truth to Season. It is hard for me to correct new believers because I dont want to discourage their persuit of God. I usually just stay quite, don't take what they say to heart, and pray for them. However, I do believe that I do more of a diservice by just shaking my head and walking away. In all the years I've known you, you have never strayed from the Lord or His scriptures... Your witness was so impressive to my younger sister tonight! She left hungary for more knowledge of the Word of God. Thank you for your faithfulness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home