Wednesday, March 02, 2005

AOMin's Annual Business Meeting

Rich Pierce approached me at church a couple weeks ago and asked me to keep the evening of March 1st available. Apparently he wanted me to attend Alpha and Omega Ministries' annual business meeting. I had no clue why they would want me there, but I figured we would sit around and talk about theology or something to that extent.

The meeting was held at Rich's house last night. All the board members were there: James White (Director), Rich Pierce (President), Simon Escobedo (Executive Vice President), Warren Smith(Secretary), Mike Porter and Benny Diaz. We began by eating dinner ... pizza, soda, and brownies (food for theological champions!) *grin*. Of course, Simon and I chatted about the Trinity and Oneness Theology. Chillin with da AOMin boys, eating junkfood, talkin theology, does it get any better than this?

Eventually we got around to the business aspect of this meeting. Besides the ocassional humor, the meeting was fairly normal and followed standard procedure.

When it was time to review the current corporate board members, James asked if anyone wanted to make a motion to add new members. What happened next came as a complete surprise. James then made a motion to add me to the board. I was stunned! The motion was seconded, and it was official: I was now a member of the AOMin corporate board (though I am not an officer like James, Rich, or Simon -- just to clarify). James asked me to share my testimony to encourage everyone present. Honestly, the rest of the meeting was a haze due to my excitement.

My heart's desire has always been to preach the gospel to everyone in my life. In my sphere of influence I regularly encounter LDS, Witnesses, Oneness Pentecostals, Muslims, Romanists, Atheists, homosexuals, and so on. I strive to clearly communicate the gospel to each of these groups, which has led me to study not only what I believe, but what others believe. This, by the way, is the exact reason why I am spending so much time studying Oneness Theology (and the Trinity). Before I forget, Simon mentioned to me that he and Eddie Dalcour did a 3 hour series about Oneness Theology on the Dividing Line a few years back. Okay, where was I... Ah yes!

After the meeting, each of the guys approached me in turn to welcome me aboard. I shook their hands, honored to be apart of what AOMin does. I am honored to serve with these men, all of whom are heroes of the faith. I remember a time when the AOMin guys were just theologians and apologists to me. But they have become my friends.

If I may brag about Alpha and Omega for a minute. It is absolutely incredible what they have accomplished in their 20 some odd years of ministry: 50+ debates, 23 books, newsletters, The Dividing Line as a radio broadcast -------> now a webcast, radio appearances, lectures, a blog that won the "Best All Around Apologetics Blog of the Year" award, numerous online articles, dozens of tracts, countless speaking engagements at churches/seminaries around the world, more than 20 years of street evangelism in Salt Lake City and Mesa, and ministry at the Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church.

When you visit aomin.org or familiarize yourself with their ministry, you'd never guess that they have accomplished all this with only 2 paid staff employees and a few handfuls of volunteers =). Tonight, as they discussed the state of the ministry, I was impressed by their humility. The Lord has blessed AOMin by continuing to grow the ministry. Yet in the face of this growth, James took some time to explain that he doesn't want to end up like some ministries who try to please their "constituants." Rather, James will continue to remain faithful in proclaiming the truth, even if that means losing some support, and making some enemies (as we have seen this year, unfortunately). Let me just briefly say about James, he is the real deal. James is as sincere as they come. He is an elder at my church, a loving husband and father, and passionately serves AOMin. But most importantly, he loves the Lord with all of his heart, sould, mind and strength.

I am ecstatic that the Lord has continued to allow me to serve Him in the realm of apologetics. Your prayers are certainly appreciated. To my faithful 5 readers, kudos to ya'll. Thanks for joining in my excitement.

Rusty

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger MarieP said...

Congrats! That is wonderful news!!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Yeah!!! One reason why I know that this position is a great step for you Casey is because you don't need the title to share your faith. Clearly, you are a bold evangelist and apologist, and I am encouraged that your ministry will be able to expand even more as a result of this amazing priveledge. All glory to God!!!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger FX Turk said...

DUDE:

I'm jealous. W A Y jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home