Friday, February 25, 2005

I Love the Trinity

"I love the Trinity," wrote James White, beginning his book The Forgotten Trinity. I first read TFT 4 years ago. This was the first sound presentation of the Trinity I had encountered. Up to that point I had always believed that there was only one God, and that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit were all God, yet somehow distinct. It wasn't until I read this work that I could clearly communicate the Trinity.

Saturday night at Kat's Corner I was hot and sweaty (like always when dancing) so I migrated over to a fan. I sat down next to another regular named Dan (and that rhymes, scary). We shook hands and began chatting. Somewhere in the conversation he made a comment about church the next morning. So of course I asked him if he was a Christian? He said, "Weeeeeell, sort of." I'm thinking, that's a strange answer. I then asked, "What church do you attend?" "It's kind of an independent church, kind of not. Kind of a charismatic church, but kind of not," he said. Okay, now THAT is a strange answer. I figured I should ask him some basic theological questions to see where he stood. "Are you a Trinitarian?" I asked. "Oh no, not at all," he said, "We believe in the oneness of God."

Naturally, the conversation then focused on the being of God. It was a rather quick exchange, as we both wanted to get back out on the dance floor. But I discovered that he believes in Oneness theology (that God is unipersonal), and also has some common misconceptions about the Trinity. I offered to meet with him sometime and discuss the Trinity. He agreed.

To prepare for the discussion, I placed two books on order: The Oneness of God by David Bernard, and A Definitive Look at Oneness Theology: Defending the Tri-Unity of God by Edward Dalcour. Bernard's book is the only reputable book defending Oneness theology. Dalcour's book is the only scholarly response to Oneness theology and defense of the Trinity. Eddie Dalcour is a friend of mine btw, and heads up The Department of Christian Defense. We usually run into each other at the Mormon Easter pageant in Mesa and on AOMin's cruises.

Last night I finished re-reading TFT, and have begun reading the sections on the Trinity in Berkhof's and Reymond's Systematic Theologies. After all this, if there is enough time, I hope to read the articles AOMin has on the subject.

You might be thinking, "Wow Case, why go to all this trouble just to have one conversation?" Good question. I've been meaning to have an in-depth study on the Trinity for quite some time, and this is my perfect opportunity. Furthermore, I want to adequately be prepared to explain, discuss and defend this great truth. I want to know where Dan is coming from. Knowing his position ahead of time, and preparing to refute it, will greatly benefit our time of discussion/debate.

Btw, here is a brief definition of the Trinity: "Within the one Being that is God, there exists eternally, three co-equal and co-eternal persons, namely, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." There are three foundations I must be able to defend Biblically to prove the doctrine of the Trinity: (1) Monotheism, there is only one true God (2) 3 personal distinctions that share God's being, and (3) the three persons are co-equal and co-eternal.

Like James White, I love the Trinity. I really do. Putting aside the upcoming discussion with my friend, I study the Trinity because this is studying the God whom I serve and love. The more I study God's triunity, the more I realize how glorious His plan of salvation: The Father chooses an elect people to save, the Son redeems His people, the Holy Spirit seals His people. How glorious is the work of God in salvation! You see, the gospel is Trinitiarian! This is why I am so passionate about this truth, central to Christian faith.

One last thing, if you have not read The Forgotten Trinity, I urge you to take some time and read this book. Your love and understanding of the majesty of God will only inscrease. You can purchase this book at http://www.aomin.org.

I'd appreciate your prayers as I continue to study for my meeting with Dan.

Rustyrust

3 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Hey Casey,

It is so timely that you are doing this study on the trinity. Just yesterday I had about a half hour to hour conversation with a friend of mine who is a modalist. We talked about the trinity for quite a while, and I am currently doing some study on it myself. Grudem has a great section on the Trinity in his Systematic Theology if you haven't already read it. I pray that we will both have a heart of love first and foremost as we share with these guys, but also that the truth that is in God's Word would be revealed to their eyes. Thanks for your bold witness Casey as you hold fast to sound teaching. Also, if you type out any of your study or research down, please send it my way as I love the way you articulate Biblical truths.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger MarieP said...

Casey,

I thank our heavenly Father for seeing it fit to give you many opportunities to witness. May the Spirit give you boldness as you solemnly attest to the truth. I'm praying that you will be more and more conformed into the image of Christ as you do this. All praise to our great and gracious God!

I hear that Bruce Ware has a brand new book out on the practical implications of the doctrine of the Trinity. It is titled Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance. I've not read it yet, but I plan to. I loved Dr. White's book as well.

Also recommended to me is H. Wayne House's Charts of Christian Theology and Doctrine, which has a description of the doctrine of the Trinity. Have you used this book for any studies?

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The more I study God's triunity, the more I realize how glorious His plan of salvation: The Father chooses an elect people to save, the Son redeems His people, the Holy Spirit seals His people. How glorious is the work of God in salvation! You see, the gospel is Trinitiarian! This is why I am so passionate about this truth, central to Christian faith."

-These were the first things i rejoiced in when i first reformed. Interesting how the impact of this view can not exist apart from the reformed faith! Once again Casey, thank you for your commitment to the truth as revealed in Scripture! God will honor you for your spiritual worship in both proclaiming such a truth and delighting in it! =] John 4:20-24

 

Post a Comment

<< Home