Saturday, February 19, 2005

A Shout Out to Two Friends

Eli and I have a coded language to refer to a series of events a couple years ago. "The Tragedy" or "The Event" is our way of reminiscing back to the days when Hyper-Preterism seemed to be running rampant amongst our circle of friends. For months, this damnable heresy was spreading like gangrene. It was ruining lives; ruining friendships. In the process I lost my best friend, Scotty, and 6 other close friends. This was the most difficult trial the Lord has brought into my life. Thankfully, I had many close friends to support me.

Two friends from our old circle stuck with me through it all: Eli and Adam.

Eli and I met at Stapley Bucks 3 or 4 years ago? I don't recall exactly how we met. We probably noticed each other's Bible and striked up a conversation. Eli was there at the beginning of our group's formation. We'd sit and talk about theology all the time. All the time. What I appreciated about Eli was his passion for the Scriptures. Every day after work, he would read his Bible at Bucks for hours on end. Like Apollos, Eli is "mighty in the Scriptures." He is also passionate about evangelism, and of course, theology =) - which is why we got along so well. Our friendship always felt natural. I still remember two key passages that he would regularly cite: (1) Ephesians 1:13, that every believer has been baptized by the Holy Spirit (compare this with 1 Corinthians 12:13), and (2) Romans 10:9. I learned a lot from him.

When Hyper-Preterism began destroying lives and our apologetics ministry, Eli and I had the same view of how to handle the situation. We contacted the elders of East Valley Bible Church to warn them that two of their regular attendees (both serving in our ministry) were spreading this damnable heresy. Eli and I resigned from that ministry at the same time. I honestly do not think I could have faced these specific trials on my own. God was gracious to give Eli the same convictions He gave me. And I didn't have to face that terrible time alone. He defended the truth before East Valley's elders. He defended my reputation, when articles, books, and other forms of slander were being distributed about me. Most importantly, he remained a constant source of encouragement to me.

For the past 6 months, I have been blessed by hanging out with Eli, and his wife Heather, once again. Our friendship has only grown stronger. Eli and I have a perspective of these trials that no one else has: a first person perspective. We know the whole story of what happened. Nearly everyone else has second hand information. I believe it is because we faced these trials together that our friendship has increased.

But there is more than the bad times. In good times, Eli has been a faithful friend to me. He loves the Lord. He is a God-fearing man, who loves his wife and kids. He is an example to me. I can honestly say that I look forward to years of friendship with Eli.

Who might the other fellow be? Adam Prather =).

It was a week before I resigned from our apologetics ministry that I pulled Adam aside one night while we were at Bucks. I took a chance by opening up to him and explained the situation to him. I informed him about my plans to resign from the ministry and call a meeting with East Valley's elders. Adam responded with more support and encouragement than I expected. Since that night he has proven that he is trustworthy. He has become one of my confidants.

Adam was also a part of our old circle of friends. When we began splitting up because I wouldn't tolerate heresy, Adam was there to back me up. The next few months involved dozens of encounters with our old friends, who had become Hyper-Prets. This caused in us a renewed passion and zeal for the return of Jesus Christ. We were excited for the resurrection, for the final day of judgement, and for the new heavens and earth. We spent hours trying to persuade friends to repent, as well as defend orthodoxy.

In case you were wondering, I also met Adam in Starbucks - at almost the exact table I first met Eli! (weird). The first night we met, we must have appeared to be polar opposites. He was in a suit, I was in shorts and a t-shirt. He had the KJV, I had an NIV. Right off the bat we began talking about Calvinism. Eventually, Adam embraced the Doctrines of Grace, ptL.

Since that time, he has demonstrated a constant desire to know God's Word, and handle it aright. I have seen him mature in his walk with the Lord, and it has been a blessing to witness. Adam is the kind of guy I can talk to about anything, and he listens well. He has a gentle spirit about him. He is a good friend.

The test of time has proven the worth of my friendships with Eli and Adam. They are godly men with whom I can trust. Through the good and the rough times, they have stuck with me, and supported me. I can only say thank you to them, and hope I can return the love they give to me. I could not have made it without you guys.

To two of my best friends, God bless you.

Your Brother in the Saving Faith,
Casey

8 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A Shout Back"

God has blessed me & my family tremendously with Casey's friendship.

He is very much a people person and loves the Lord. A strong quality in Casey is that he will not compromise in his convictions in the Word just to be liked. He would rather be disliked than to compromise against the Scriptures.

Looking back to the beginning of our friendship, I often think of this verse to describe how our friendship grew strong together in Christ. Rom. 8:28 - "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him, according to His purpose..."

During the Hyper-pret heresy, the loss of many friends and a ministry, God strengthend and continued to give me confidence in His word (Phil. 1:6) through strong encouragement of one of my best friends Casey. I thank God for your friendship daily.

I've always enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, our conversations on theology and trivial things over a hot cup of Starbucks coffee.
From your brother in Christ,
Eli

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

I am reminded of a verse from Pr. 27. It goes something like, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I thank the Lord that God has allowed us as believers to have relationships that sharpen each other. Way to go Eli and Adam for being so instrumental in Casey's life. Keep it up!!!

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casey,

I really appreciate your friendship too! That season was a time of blessing for me in just seeing you walk through it. Your example of faithfulness to the gospel was steadfast and glorifying to God. I learned a lot from you and was honored to be a friend that you could confide in. I look forward to more times where we can prove God faithful among heresy again knowing that his Spirit will preserve his children.

Thanks, that meant a lot.

Adam

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

I remember the time in which our borther Casey speaks. It was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I remember your broken heart for those people Case. You have a great heart for the lost.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger mgoblue62 said...

If you will pardon my curiosity - what exactly is a hyper-preterist? How did the church (East Valley Bible) respond to this view?

-David

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

mgoblue -

Hyper Preterism (aka: Full Preterism, Consistent Preterism, Pantelism) believes that all biblical prophecy has been fulfilled, including the final return of Christ, the resurrection of the dead, the final day of judgement, and the new heavens and earth. The four eschatological events listed are believed to have been fulfilled in AD70. Hyper Preterism is a damnable heresy (2 Timothy 2:14-19). This movement is largely supported by the Church of Christ and liberal scholarship such as NT Wright.

I have an article on my homepage: http://www.rustypth.com which needs to be redone, but you can get the general idea from that.

Regarding how East Valley Bible Church handled the heresy, they met with us, but that meeting is private and I don't feel at liberty to discuss it publicly =)

Hope this answers your question mate.

Rusty

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger mgoblue62 said...

I read the article on you web site, which did much to clarify. I don't think I have ever encountered anyone with this belief. I have met people who are Church of Christ, but have never questioned any in depth as to their views on eschatology.

Over the years I have read through numerous church creeds and doctrinal statements. While there is always variety and sometimes differences, I don’t think I have ever read one which did not include an affirmation of the coming return of Christ. I would agree that to believe otherwise is outside the bounds of orthodoxy. Are you at liberty to say whether the elders at East Valley concurred? (just curious…) It’s a shame that the thin ranks of those engaged in sound apologetics was further reduced as a result of this false teaching.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger rustypth said...

Not all in the Church of Christ (the International Church of Christ, and the many schisms from there) are Hyper Preterists... but the leading proponents of such a movement are CoC.

You are correct that all the creeds, all the confessions, and all orthodox Christians believe in a future coming of the Lord, the physical resurrection of the dead, the final Day of Judgment, and a New Heavens and Earth.

East Valley would not allow these men to become members at their church unless they could affirm the orthodox view of the Second Coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home