Friday, September 29, 2006

Finally, a good movie


After a glance at the poster I knew I would enjoy this film. Flyboys is the story of the Lafayette Escadrille - the first Americans to fight in World War I. The Lafayette Escadrille was comprised of a few dozen young men who became fighter pilots to serve in the French army.

The incredible thing about Flyboys is its historical accuracy, even down to the nitty gritty details. To describe this film as pro-American would not do it justice. Rather than making these men look like pathetic victims, or killers of civilians, they are here portrayed as war-heroes ... as those who should be honored.

Many have described the movie as having the feel of an WW2 film made in the 50's. I would agree with that assessment.

The director also manages to include a convincing romance (more reason for all the ladies to see this movie =)).


It's clean. Good action. CGI effects are spectacular. I loved it. Four out of five stars.

and verily, much w00tage did thus fill the land (an oldie but a goodie)

CoB

5 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I didn't know about this film until you told me.

Let me know if you want to see it again!

A convincing romance, eh? And it's clean too? Sounds like it's got all the trappings for a movie for a date ;)

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Lockheed said...

I've read some terrible reviews of this, but like you, I am interested in it. Thanks for the encouragement.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Lockheed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

I have to say that I enjoyed the movie as well. Maybe not as much as Casey did, I thought the romance was a little cheesy, but it was still pretty good. The movie suffers from some bad acting and some moments of very cheesy, unconvincing dialouge. It moves rather slowly through the middle as well, but its good overall.

It is very pro-american and does show these pilots as heroes, which out weighs some of the cheesy filmmaking.
3 out of 5.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

I think I'll see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home