Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Those who say they have faith...

Last night I was talking with a customer at Starbucks while on my ten (a ten minute break). It started raining cats and dogs for the first time in months, so of course, we were blabbing on about that when he exclaimed: “I love all this f****** rain! I hope the power goes out like it did at Berean a couple of months ago.”

“Don’t you work at Berean?” I inquired.

“Sure do.”

“And you’re a Christian?”

“Yeah. I curse like a sailor, but I believe in Jesus Christ,” he announced.

“Uh-huh,” I unenthusiastically muttered. “What church do you attend?”

“St. Timothy’s Catholic Church in Mesa,” he answered.

I left the conversation there only because I was technically still being paid by Starbucks. Otherwise, I would have continued as follows: “If you claim to believe in Christ, should you really be boasting in your sin? Also, I’d love to share my gospel with you …”

As I went back to work, one passage of Scripture was burning in my mind. Any guesses? James chapter 2, specifically verses 14-26. This fellow professed faith in Christ. But do his works back up his profession? I would argue no. He flaunts his sin before others. Even when asked about his faith he expresses no shame in his sin. Finally, he goes to an apostate church: the Roman Catholic Church.

“Gosh darnit Casey, well who are you to judge?!” I recognize that I am not the Judge over men’s souls and their destinies. But I can recognize a Christian by his fruit, just as I can recognize an unbeliever by his fruit. When someone’s life is defined by sin, as this man’s life is, upon what basis should I consider him a Christian? He has no valid profession of faith. I’m willing to bet he doesn’t believe in the true gospel – evidenced by his attending the Roman Church. He has no remorse for sin, even when asked by a fellow believer.

1 John 3:10, “By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.”

What that man needs is to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. Only Jesus Christ can save him not only punishment of sins, but from his life of sin.

This fellow is a regular at my store. I’d appreciate your prayers for him.

9 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

Lol, I know that guy. I saw him in the store last night.

He's not a believer if you hadn't guessed

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

Hm. I totally agree with all of your points Casey. And it's definitely not just about abstaining from sin, but one also must PRACTICE RIGHTEOUSNESS if they claim faith in Christ, just like the passage in 1 John said.

Yep, I'll be praying that you get a chance to share with him the true gospel of the saving faith.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger kletois said...

Sola non-cursa?

Being Roman Catholic is a better indication of this person's damnation.

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

klet: that's an umm, interesting Sola you've thought up.

Also, just to be clear for the rest of my readers, by "damnation" we only mean that the Roman Catholic gospel cannot save sinners from their sin. We do not mean that we know whether they are God's elect or reprobate, but only that the Roman Catholic gospel is a false gospel, and will leave sinners in their sin.

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger kletois said...

What Rusty said.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Casey, I think you would enjoy the military, as far as chances to share the gospel. My platoon has two - me and my friend.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Prayers are in your corner bro, Brent

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

I think you owe me a 100 pushups ;)

Oh, how the tides have turned!!!

;)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

John -

I'll do the pushups sometime if you remind me. Oh the irony of you holding me to updates Mr. Judge ... Mr. I-only-update-once-a-month-Judge Roberts, mwuahahahahahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home