Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bucks Adventures: Behind the Counter

I have been a Barista for about three weeks, and it has been so much fun. My partners are a joy to work with. They continue to demonstrate their unending patience towards me during my training. I know more about coffee than I ever thought possible, and there is still so much to learn! One day I will count the number of drinks we’ve got on the menu (not including the infinite possibilities from modifying drinks).

Time flies like no other while on the clock. This morning I opened at 4:30am (yes … AM =)) and it was noon before I knew what hit me. You’re on the go the entire time. Between the work and the free beverages while working, I could probably work all day and hardly notice (kidding).

Funny story – last Friday night, around 11pm, we’re working hard, goofing around, and laughing it up. We started adding a “UH” following every drink call, which was then repeated three or four or five times by my partners. Imagine hearing: “I have an Iced Quad Venti Five Pump No Whip Mocha for Mike, UHH!!!” repeated over and over. I couldn’t stop laughing. See what caffeine does to people?

I have enjoyed being up before the sunrise though. It’s nice to know that the sun does actually rise. One moment it’s pitch black outside, and the next it’s bright as the sun (umm, yea).

One of my goals is to prove myself a good worker. I want to do the best I can at all times. When asked to do something I need to do it immediately, without complaint. My attitude should be positive, even when I’m having a crummy day. Why do I want to do this? Because the Bible says that when we serve our earthly masters we are serving Christ. So in my case, when I serve my managers, or my shift supervisors, I am really serving Christ. This should give me all the motivation I would ever need to be a hardworking employee. By God’s grace alone can I do this. Therefore I will seek the blessing of God each day. I’d appreciate your prayers.

Anywho, come in and see me sometime. I open (4:30am-noon) and close (5:30pm-12:30am).

PTH

3 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Lockheed said...

Funny... cause I would have picked up that drink since most folks call me "Mike...uhhhh"

;)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger kletois said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

Funny, I just read that passage in Eph. 6 about a week ago or so, and was dually convicted and motivated to work heartily as unto the Lord. Plus, when you work in such a way, you not only please the Lord, but you also pave the way for good conversation giving a reason for the hope that is within you.

The way in which we conduct ourselves will either adorn or dirty the gospel of Christ.

Yikes. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home