Monday, November 21, 2005

My thoughts on the GoF

J. K. Rowling's fourth novel was put on the big screen November 18th. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is undoubedly the best movie in the series so far. The book is the favorite of many fans, and is the turning point in the Harry Potter universe.

Right from the start I could tell this was going to be different than the other Harry Potter movies. Mike Newell is the third director for the series - the Order of the Phoenix will see another new director (that makes four!). The score was brand new. Only ocassional hints of the original soundtrack were included, which was disappointing at first, but later grew on me.

The characters have obviously grown up a lot since the Prisoner of Azkaban! Rupert Grint (Ron) grew what looked like 6 inches. Emma Watson (Hermione) was beautiful in her dress, of course. Daniel Radcliffe's (Harry) hair was, if I may borrow from the Weasley twins, "wicked" cool =). They were 14 in the movies; 16 in real life. When you consider that Tom Welling was 28, playing a 17 year old kid in Smallville, Harry and his friends don't seem too out of place.

The Goblet of Fire's pace seemed a bit rushed for the first twenty minutes or so until Dumbledore's start-of-term notices. But there were also many sub-plots and minor details that were left out of the film. It's understandable, considering that the novel is over twice the length of its prequel. As a fanatic fan, it is always difficult to see these details overlooked for the film. If it were up to me, we'd have a six hour movie so as to cover EVERY detail in this novel. Thankfully, it is not up to me - and for good reason! A two and a half hour movie is long enough!

Now is as good a time as any to give my only real criticism of the film. There were a couple key things that I felt should have been included: (1) an extended graveyard scene involving the Death Eaters attacking Harry; (2) Rita Skeeter's capture by Hermione. The first point is for my own pure enjoyment. What happens to Rita Skeeter is essential for the next film, and definitely should have been explained.

Newell spent a great deal of time developing the main characters. He did a fantastic job of communicating how Harry, Ron and Hermione felt. Ron was clearly jealous of Hermione going to the ball with Victor. Hermione dated Victor and is keenly aware of Ron's jealousy. Harry is attracted to Cho. The soundtrack has a song titled "Harry Potter's Love" which serves as the music for when he asks Cho to the ball, and is rejected. I laughed aloud at the classical music which played with the audience's emotions as Harry got the nerve to ask out Cho, then bums around the Gryffindor Common Room thinking about her.

It was a tremendous challenge to bring the Triwizard Tournament to life, but Mike Newell did the job well. He made some obvious changes, but they sat well with my stomach. The Horntail was impressive. The underwater scene in the Black Lake was also very well done. I was a little disappointed with the maze, but it brought Harry and Cedric to the Goblet of Fire.

Brendon Gleeson performed masterfully as Alister "Mad-Eye" Moody. His scene with Draco is hysterical. Plus, it's always nice to see Draco look like a bafoon. The audience cheered throughout the scene.

In fact, this movie has a lot of comedic moments (unlike its prequels).

Oh, did Myrtle frighten anyone else? Harry, you should have brought your swim trunks mate =).

The movie culminates with the end scene in the graveyard. I knew it was coming, but somehow I was not prepared to witness it. Harry and Cedric grabbed the Goblet of Fire which transported them to Tom Riddle Sr.'s grave. Out walks Wormtail holding the vulnerable Lord Voldemort in his arms. Then in a flash Wormtail casts the Avada Kedavra curse, and Cedric is killed. Before I knew it, Voldemort had returned. Ralph Fiennes was an excellent selection to play the Dark Lord. His appearance was truly frightening.

It wasn't until Harry and Voldemort's wands were locked together that I knew some sad moments were coming. Those whom Voldemort killed appeared out of his wand: Frank the caretaker, Cedric, and Harry's parents. Cedric's request for Harry to bring back his body to his father broke my heart. ... Harry made a run for it, and grabbing Cedric's body he touched the Goblet. In an instant he was transported back to Hogwarts. Harry lay on Cedric's lifeless body, sobbing. One by one, the crowd realized what had happened, and the gasps filled the air. My eyes got teary as Harry refused to let go of Cedric. "I couldn't leave him, not there! It was Voldemort ... he's back!" cried Harry. This was the saddest moment in the Harry Potter movies. As I watched this scene, all the emotions that I felt reading the book came rushing back to me.

Very well done scene.

One of the final shots was of Harry walking across the school grounds, watching the other students say their goodbyes. I believe this short moment in the movie communicates his emotional exhaustion, worry and determination for the future.

This is a movie I hope to see a few times in theaters =).

If you've seen the movie, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts ...

Hermione: "Everything's going to change now, isn't it?"
Harry: "... yes."

I'm ready for the Order of the Phoenix - 2006! =)

Case of Base

3 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie was indeed awesome, they did an amazing job at protraying the characters emotions. I too cried when Cedric died, specially when Harry didn't want to let go of him, truly heartbreaking. Let me know when you go, I would love to see GoF again :0)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

The movie was thoroughly enjoyable and i thought it did a remarkable job with the characterization. I am SO glad that Newell finally gave the Weasley twins some screen time in this installment; they were arguably the best comedic relief this series has seen.

I was, however, disappointed with some technical issues. The pacing of the movie was undeniably choppy. It almost seemed as if Newell just kind of copied and pasted some scenes together. Granted, the book was some 700+ pages (as i've heard). Also, the cinematography was spectacular in some scenes, yet drooby in others. I believe that PoA had the best cinematography of all 4 movies. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but i thought that some of the special effects shots were a bit blurry... but maybe that's just me... :)

All my griping aside, GoF is a great film and did precisely what i hoped it would: hold me over until Narnia......... :D

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

While I liked the movie alot...I can't say as I have as many positive feelings at Case. i thought the movie was paced poorly. It seems to move along nicely, then slows to a crawl, then moves like a bat outta hell for the rest of the film. Highly entertaining yet...definetly missing things. As a non-HP reader I was completely lost for most of the movie. I think it relies on its entertainment value a little too much. IMO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home