Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Providence of God

My pastor gave an excellent sermon Sunday night wherein he made the point that many times God plans events in our life that we did not. That statement is very true of my night tonight. After work I went to get a haircut, then made a deposit at the bank. I was heading home when I got into a little fender bender. Thankfully neither myself nor the other driver was hurt.

Both of us were making left turns from opposite sides of the street (I was turning west, he was turning east). We must have both began driving at the same moment because we nearly collided head on. At the last few moments I saw what he was doing and turned to the right in attempt to avoid a collision. The front of his car ended up nicking the back end of my truck. We pulled off into the parking lot I had just exited. We introduced ourselves - the driver was named Doug. Very friendly guy. He had never been in an accident and hadn't a clue what to do. Thankfully I work for an insurance company and have a pretty concrete idea about what we ought to do =). I immediately called 911 to get the police out there - primarily for the police report (otherwise it's my word against his, which makes the claim that much more difficult).

During our hour and a half wait for the police, Doug and I talked about a lotta stuff. We covered all the common conversational topics: where we're from, what we do, our family, what our original plans were that night =). At one point Doug asks me straight out: "So what do you think of President Bush?" I told him exactly what I thought, then asked him his opinion. I figured that if he was willing to discuss politics with someone he just met, he wouldn't mind discussing religion *grins*. So I asked Doug, "Did you attend church back in Minnesota?" [where he is from]. "Yeah I did. I'm a Roman Catholic." Naturally, I then asked, "Do you mind if I ask how you believe sinful people are made to have a right relationship with God?" He essentially told me that he believes "...only God knows the answer to that question." I told him that the Bible specifically addresses that very issue: that all people deserve judgment and Hell because of our sin; about what God the Son, Jesus Christ, did for His people; that only those who turn from their sin and trust Christ alone to save them from their sins will be declared not guilty before God.

I could tell this was the first time he had ever heard that message before. I then challenged him as to whether he has ever really trusted Christ alone for complete forgiveness of his sins? Doug's greatest struggle was whether God can forgive ALL sins. Specifically, he was not confident that Christ is able to forgive a murderer or a child molestor. I responded, "Christ's blood is more than able to atone for any sin. That's why salvation is by grace alone through faith alone." I recommended the book of Romans, then we moved on to discuss other things.

Isn't the providence of our God amazing? He predestined me to get into a car accident. God's sovereign hand protected both Doug and myself from any injury. He even saw that the damage done to our vehicles was not excessive. The Lord then allowed me to proclaim the gospel to this man.

Were I to dismiss God's complete control over these events, I might have been angry about getting into an accident. I would have been upset at the damage. How impatient I might have become at the police's slow response! I'd have driven away flustered at the fact that my night was put back three hours (precious time that could have been spent doing anything else).

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (NASB)

Contrary to my feeble plans, the Lord of creation was pleased to have me get into an accident and proclaim the Good News with a fellow sinner. Indeed, every event tonight was part of God's perfect plan, and to work good from this seemingly unpleasant situation. How marvelous are His ways! Might I often think of God's sovereign decree as I go throughout my days. How quick I am to forget that He is the creator, and I, His creature! His rulership over everything that transpires in my life has been ordained according to the good pleasure of His will. And that is a comforting thought.

On that note, I will let you know if either Doug or myself get cited by the police =)
Case of Base

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Hey Casey,

I am glad to hear that you are okay but even more excited to hear how you used this divinely appointed opportunity. I'm encouraged bro, Brent

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am glad you are okay :0) I am encouraged by the way you handled the situation, God was glorified by your eagerness to share truth to a complete stranger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home