Friday, October 14, 2005

John 6:37-45

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. 36"But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe. 37"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38"For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39"This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40"For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day." 41Therefore the Jews were grumbling about Him, because He said, "I am the bread that came down out of heaven." 42They were saying, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does He now say, 'I have come down out of heaven'?" 43Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves. 44"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. 45"It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me. (NASB).

I have recently had some exchanges with a fellow who emailed AOMin about John 6:37-45. He doesnt believe the text supports Calvinism at all. Very nice guy ... a seminary grad who seems eager to debate. Here are some questions I asked him in our last exchange:

(1) John 6:37 says: "37"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out."Is it your position that the "All" that is given by the Father to the Son come to Christ?

(2) Which verb/action comes first in John 6:37 - the giving by the Father, or the coming of those given?

(3) Is the giving by the Father dependent on anything in man (including their decisions)? If so, where do you find this in verse 37?

(4) John 6:44 says: "44"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day."What is the final result of the Father's drawing according to verse 44?

(5) Do you believe that the Father draws every person who has ever lived or ever will live? If so, why do so many individuals not believe?

(6) According to verse 44, is the Father's drawing dependent on anything in man (including his decisions)? If so, where do you find this in the verse 44?

(7) John 6:45 says: "45"It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me."Where do you find the choices of men in verse 45?

(8) Are you equating "heard and learned" with "libertarian free will"?

Im sure to post more on this soon =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home