Monday, July 04, 2005

Not with cleverness of speech

1 Corinthians 1:17, "17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void."

1 Corinthians 2:1-5, "1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God."

Elder James had the opportunity to preach during last night's worship service. The above passages were the primary texts for this introduction to a series he will be doing on 1 Corinthians 1-2. I wanted to share with you some of my sermon notes.

There is a clear parallel between the "cleverness of speech" in 1:17 and "persuasive words of wisdom" and "wisdom of men" in 2:4-5. In 1:17, whatever this "cleverness of speech" is, results in making the cross of Christ void, or empty. I think I speak for all of God's people when I say that we do not want to make the cross of Christ void. So what does Paul mean by "cleverness of speech"? Weeeell, Paul continues this same thought on what is called the "bookend" of this prologue in chapter 2. Paul explains his determination in sticking to the message of Christ and his crucifixion. This simple message of Christ was portrayed "in much fear and in much trembling." Take note of verse 4: "and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power." WOW. Does that amaze anyone else? Paul did not try to impress the people of Corinth with persuasive words - words that would impress the world. He came in meekness and preached the whole Gospel. The reason Paul did not try to impress the unregenerated man is because Paul could trust in the Spirit of God to save His elect people. If there was one thing the Apostle knew, it was that God saves, and saves perfectly.

Oh how liberating to be able to trust God in the preaching of His message! Oh what joy I found when I became a Calvinist and understood that it is not up to me to convince sinners to believe in God. My only responsibility in preaching the good news of Christ is to not compromise the message.

Elder James made some excellent points about the Emergent Church Movement, and the Seeker Sensitive Movement. Both texts in James' sermon are applicable to these movements. For the Emergent Church Movement - they appeal to a postmodern generation. For the Seeker Sensitive Movement - they don't want to turn anyone away by preaching the whole counsel of God. Both movements fear men. Their greatest concern is seeking worldly results: an increase in people (who will on ocassion give you some money). If you use worldly methods of preaching, you will reap worldly results. But if you use Biblical standards of preaching, the Holy Spirit will work through your ministry.

Paul's theme in these marvelous passages is that you do not need to satisfy the desires of the natural man. On the contrary, trust in the Holy Spirit to work through the preaching of the word of Christ. For indeed, it is the power of God that saves sinners. Notice 1:18; compare with 2:5. Isn't that incredible? What a dichotomy the Apostle sets up: not with words of human wisdom, but on the power of God! I don't know about you, but I am honored to be used as the means to bring the Gospel to the lost in this world. Most of all, I am thankful that we don't have to use fancy speech that impresses the world. But we preach Christ and Him crucified.

Time to hit the hay kiddos. *Honk Shooing*
Rusty

2 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

PRAISE GOD FOR HIS SOVEREIGNTY EH! I completely agree Casey, and it is so liberating to simply have the responsibility of being faithful to preach the word as opposed to trying to "save people" by our own efforts. Romans 1:16 says that the gospel is the power of salvation and for this reason I feel so freed up to simply be a faithful steward of the message. Praise the Lord that He is sovereign!!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

Well...Great blog my friend.

I stand with you on the Emergent Church and Seeker sensitivism. I'm glad fundamentalists like us still exist, otherwise...yeah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home