Wednesday, July 27, 2005

It is Well

A couple weeks ago on the Lord's Day, we sang the familiar hymn, "It is well." The song is truly wonderful. When I arrived at the third verse, I was greatly moved. Here is how it reads:

My sin - O the bliss of this glorious thought! - My sin, not in part, but the whole, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more; Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

*Click here for the tune*

Even as I read this now, I cannot help but be overcome with joy - the joy that my sins have not been imputed to me. No, they have been borne by the only begotten of the Father. The writer of this hymn seems to have been so overjoyed with this thought that he interjects the phrase: "O the bliss of this glorious thought!" My sin, not in part, but the whole was borne by Christ on the tree.

You might think, as I did, of Peter's statement in his first epistle: "24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed" (1 Peter 2:24).

And of course: "19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Corinthians 5:19, 21).

Christ, the God-Man, the Word who became flesh, though He Himself knew no sin, became sin on our behalf. Yet there is more good news: we become the righteousness of God in him. Our sins are covered by his atoning blood, and we receive his positive righteousness imputed to us through faith. Yes, one more time, I happily turn to my favorite text in the New Testament:

"6 just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: 7 "BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN,AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED. 8 "BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT."" (Romans 4:6-8).

Our justification before God is based on an alien righteousness imputed to us: the righteousness of Jesus Christ. This righteousness is imputed not by works, but through faith alone. Paul declares that this is a blessing! It is a blessing to receive the righteousness of Christ as our possession. It is a blessing to have our sins forgiven and covered. It is a blessing to not have our sins taken into account.

I love how the hymnist ended the verse: "Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!" After considering such a rich and humbling truth, how can you not stop to give praise to God for what He has done. What can be said of verse 3 but Amen!

Case of Base

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home