Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Harry Potter

It's quite unlike me to jump on the bandwagon, but I had to make an exception this time. Both my brothers, a lotta my friends, and so many others are hooked on this book series. I knew I would have to give it a chance.

My brother Kyle lent me the first one: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I read it in two days. I just could not put it down. So today I bought the first and second book at Borders (does anyone else prefer Borders over Barnes and Noble?). I'm stoked about beginning the second novel - in fact, only this blog entry is what separates me from some reading time =).

Kyle also owns all the movies (yay). When I finished my book last night I popped in the dvd and thoroughly enjoyed it. They did a fantastic job of recreating the book. It looked so much like I imagined it.

Everyone tells me that the books and movies keep getting better!

and now for something completely different ...

Well okay, not COMPLETELY different *grin*. I wanted to share some thoughts about why I used to oppose Harry Potter and why I no longer oppose it. Why was I against Harry Potter? Basically, I was against witchcraft and wizadry being in a movie. Why do I no longer oppose Harry Potter? Somewhere along the way someone asked me why I was opposed to Harry Potter when my favorite movies are Star Wars? I had no answer. I thought about it. And I thought some more. Then my brain hurt from all the thinking it was doing - after all, one brain can only take so much thinking you know. Finally, I came to realize that I was being inconsistent and unfair in my views about Harry Potter.

After all, why will I refuse to read books and/or watch movies involving wizadry yet have no problem enjoying books/movies featuring a religion based on Buddhist ascetics (Star Wars)? But, but, don't you know that JK Rowling (the author of Harry Potter) has stated that she hopes her books will spur an increase of witchcraft? Yes, but did you know that George Lucas has also been very open about the fact that Jedi are modeled after Buddhist monks? Lucas truly believes that human beings are capable of much of what the Jedi in his movies can do. Believe me when I say that I can go back and forth forever like this. Give me an example of non-Christian beliefs in Harry Potter and I can demonstrate another from Star Wars.

I've concluded that I am able to enjoy both Harry Potter and Star Wars for accepting them as fiction and nothing more. Both stories paint a clear picture of good and evil. Both stories teach certain moral truths.

Ultimately, I believe that issues like this are to be left up to one's own conscience. If watching Harry Potter (or Star Wars) causes you to feel uneasy, hey, don't watch them.

If your conscience allows you to enjoy the Harry Potter storyline, then please get to it. You don't know what you're missing!

Case of Rusty. Wait, that's not right. Base of Crusty. No, that's not it either. Hrrrmmm. This is You-Know-Who signing off

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger FX Turk said...

Read Harry Potter. Watch Star Wars.

Just don't do it with your eyes closed. We're not Amish. And it's not "emergent" or "sinful" to enjoy something just because it's enjoyable.

And let's not confuse Harry Potter or Anakin Skywalker with the real men and women of the Bible, and we'll all be just fine.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog. THanks for sharing that about Harry Potter. It is humbling to change one's point of view, but so necessary for growth! I'm a home-schooling mother of 8 who loves HP. LOL, let's just say that around other home-schoolers,and some at my church, i will only mention HP in a whisper. :) -- I read the first one out loud to my younger kids, and one of my older daughters had to read the last few pages, because i was weeping. hehe.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! great analysis of where fiction should fit in the life of a christian. I love both HP and SW however, I would give concideration upon deciding when to share these stories to my children someday... If a child has a correct understanding of fiction I believe these stories have the ability to stimulate and entertain. I have felt as though many christians are outcasting the HP books because they involve which craft and yet endorse SW, LOTR and Narnia... HP does not deserve anymore scrutiny than any of these other stories...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home