Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Strange Encounter

During the first week of school I made my way around to the many clubs/fraternity booths. I stopped by the "Christians on Campus," had an interesting time visiting with the "Gay-Straight Alliance Fraternity," and had quite a long discussion with the "Newman Center" (Roman Catholic). I had just enough time before class to make a pit stop at the Episcopalian club.

I quickly asked for some information about their campus ministry. The woman manning the table proceeded to invite me to their "worship time with the Lutherans" on Wednesday night and handed me a flier promoting the event. "Unfortunately, on Wednesday nights I attend our prayer meeting at church. But I appreciate the invitation," I said. "Are you Episcopalian?" the woman asked. "I'm a Reformed Baptist," I said. Her posture changed. I could tell that my being a Reformed Baptist made her uncomfortable. Wanting to know what doctrinal standards their club professes, I asked for a doctrinal statement. "Episcopalians aren't focused on doctrine," she said in a firm tone.
You can imagine I was a bit perplexed! Did she know what she was saying? Does she know what doctrine is? Has she not heard of the 39 Articles that the Anglican Church uses as a confession of faith?

To further explain myself I asked, "Well for example, you believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, correct?" She nodded. "...and that we are justified by grace alone through faith alone?" I asked. "Of course we believe those things. We're Christians," she said. "That's what I meant by a doctrinal statement - a list of what you believe about God, the gospel, Christ's Church…" I said. Now agitated, she responded, "I'm sure that if you Google Episcopalian you will find all the answers you are looking for."

As I walked to class, a sense of sadness came over me. I felt sorry for that lady and for that ministry. What she was able to provide for me (rather, what she wasn't able to provide for me) said more than any doctrinal statement she could have handed me. Running through my head was 1 Timothy 4:16, "Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you." I know that I have cited this passage many times, but I will continue to cite this verse so long as professing Christians are apathetic towards God's truth.

I'm not a supporter of para-church organizations because I believe ministry should be done within the context of the local church(es). Certainly God can work through particular para-church organizations, like this Episcopal group at ASU, but I believe the reason these groups suffer when it comes to doctrine is because they have no elders at local churches to hold them accountable. When we depart from God's model for church government, we needn't be surprised why our ministry suffers.

I will be praying for the many people I met that day - including the Episcopalian woman. May the Lord grant many opportunities for His people to share the gospel at ASU this semester. May we follow after Paul's example when he wrote, "For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory" (2 Timothy 2:10).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home