Monday, February 27, 2006

God's Word does not return to Him empty

The missionaries stood us up – yet I praise God that they did. Why am I praising God? Because this means that Jerry’s first encounter with them went extremely well. Cultists are trained to flee from thinking individuals (like Jerry) and from the truth of God as revealed in the Scriptures.

I arrived at Jerry’s apartment just before one o’clock, when the missionaries scheduled our appointment. Fifteen minutes went by. Thirty minutes. Forty-five minutes. When the clock struck two we knew we had been stood up.

Where will we go from here? I doubt if Jerry or myself will have any future opportunities with these elders, but our work is not finished with them. You can bet we will be praying for their repentance unto life. Might the Holy Spirit be pleased to convict these young men over their ruined testimony with us. May the Lord remove the scales from their eyes so they can see the true and the living God of the Bible in His triune majesty.

Much of Evangelicalism in our land today might consider Jerry’s witness to have failed by not attracting them to further discussion. As a Calvinist I recognize that the proclamation of God’s truth is foolishness to the world. I imagine that these young men were puzzled by Jerry’s passion … passion about God’s gospel; passion about sharing that message with others.

Last week I finished up the book of Isaiah and took note of a passage familiar to many of us:

“10"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:10-11).

Jerry was faithful in planting seeds with these missionaries. Some might water those seeds at a later time. But God will accomplish His purpose with them – whether He causes those seeds to grow or to perish. And we will be careful to give God the praise for it.

Saved because of free grace,
Case

3 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

Its always great to hear about your passion for the lost Case. You and Jerry have had some real ministry with the LDS community. I am so glad that God has gifted you to be able to articulate your beliefs and speak to their knowledge.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Hey Case, I still remember going through some training by you and Jeff in sharing the truth with Mormons. I specifically remember the part when you had that pretend mormon missionary get up and start arguing with you guys. Ah, good times; and way to keep staying faithful to sharing the truth.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

I love that passage in Isaiah. It reminds me of Job's response to God after he has listened to God speak of His own majesty: "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." (40:2)

How deeply encouraging it is to know that God accomplishes whatever task or purpose He sets out to do. I pray that God would save the Elders that you and jerry have been sharing with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home