Thursday, February 23, 2006

Riding on Cloud 9

Did you know that Relient K is my second favorite band of all time? Well, they are. They’ve got some great ska-punk, punk, pop-punk, pop, and some slow tunes. Today I was enjoying “Let it All Out” from their Mmhmm album. A few lines in the song resonated with me:

“and You said I know that this will hurt
but if I don't break your heart then things will just get worse
if the burden seems too much to bear
remember the end will justify the pain it took to get us there”

This song pierced my heart as my thoughts were drawn to the awful memories of heresy spreading like gangrene amongst my circle of friends. I vividly remember my heart breaking as I saw friends abandon the faith and following after wolves in sheep’s clothing. This was a time in my life when I had real enemies.

But I knew then, as I know so much better now, that this was part of God’s purposes. The entire calamity in my life was from the Lord. God knew exactly how those trials would cause me pain, and yet He had those things happen just as He wanted.

Today I have the luxury of hindsight. Today I can see more clearly why God brought these trials upon me. I needed to have false teachers removed from my life. I needed to learn to appreciate certain doctrines like the future coming of our Lord on the Last Day. I also strongly believe that the Lord wanted to test my faith and my commitment to His truth.

By His free grace, my God has granted repentance to nearly everyone led astray by this destructive teaching. But there is more. God has completely restored my friendship with my best friend, Scott. The past two weeks I’ve been riding on Cloud 9. I’ve had so many blessed friendships over the past few years, but no one could replace my friendship with Scott. His older sister, Jen Nelson, *ahem* … I mean Jen Whitlatch, told me recently that we are two peas in a pod. It is very true.

The last line of the song is something I honestly apprehend. God not only predestines the ends, but also the means to accomplish those ends. This means that everything that happened over the past 3 and a half years was not some meaningless evil. They were for my benefit, and the benefit of all the believers involved. I was telling this to my good buddy Mark last night, and he reminded me of Romans 8:28, “28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (NASB). This verse is one that we are all are familiar with, but it has brought such joy to me. The Lord really does mean well for His people … in all things. Praise God for such mercies.

Trusting in the purposes of the Lord,
Case of Base

6 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Casey, funny that your "world" revolves around Starbucks and your not even an employee. (For your caffeinated highs?) No really I think that vs. is awesome and it reminds me of a line from a song by Caedmon's Call. I will spare you the line because I think I am reminded of it everyday but good to hear your thoughts buddy.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hey Casey, what you said is totally true! Sometimes God puts immense trials in our life just to show us how we need to rely on Him and Romans 8:28 is always refreshing to hear because it is true that even though we struggle through hard trials...it is all for our good and God blesses us so much through the things we think are awful! Thanks for the encouraging blog!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Case,

For some reason, I thought that song was talking about a guy/girl relationship; either way, it is a good analogy to what you said. Praise God that he uses all things for His glory and our good.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

heather -
lol. yup, i've been a Bucks addict for years and years. I love coffee, and I love Stapley Bucks =). You heard it from me ... welcome to the blogosphere chica

Amy - I am always amazed at how God speaks to His people through the holy Scriptures. What a treasure it is for the Christian!

brent - i read the song a few times and i still have no idea what it's about, lol. So I ripped a few lines out of context and applied it to my situation hehe. I know, I know. This is what we call EISEGESIS *inncocent smile*

Case

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger The Paasch-inator said...

Well, Casey... that whole blog begs the question... who's your FIRST favorite band? :)

Those are some great verses - and I understand your feelings on the subject. I've had some similar struggles myself. God is faithful, though... thank you for the encouragement.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Amy said...

By the way Casey, what is your first favorite band?

~Amy Paasch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home