Thursday, April 28, 2005

Mediums, Spirits, Demons, and Things

I was reviewing my Greek to English translation from 1 John 1:1-10 at Bucks when I was pleasantly interrupted by a long-time regular, Chris. I met Chris approximately four years ago. The Lord has provided many opportunities for me to discuss the gospel with him. He had a worried expression on his face as he asked me to talk with him outside. Chris informed me of his fears that his life was being ruined by Demons or evil spirits. He believes that his life has gone down hill ever since he screwed around with a "weegi" board back in 1995. He has consulted numerous mediums, spiritists, and Roman Catholic priests that might free him from his turmoil. Chris asked if I would pray for him. I, of course, said I would.

I was then able to show Chris some Biblical truths about his current situation. From Job, I showed how God is in control of all events in time: "Then Job answered the LORD and said, 2 'I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted'" (Job 42:1-2). Job declares this after all God put him through. Surely, the greatest lesson we learn from Job is that the Lord gives, and the Lord takes away - all according to His good pleasure. I told Chris that everything happening in his life was according to the plans and purposes of God.

Next, I told him that as long as he remains an unbeliever, he would be subject to Satan and his demons. We looked at Ephesians 2:1-3, "And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. 3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest." I pointed out Paul's argument that unbelievers are slaves to their sinful nature, and to the Devil's will.

Chris was in complete agreement with what I was showing him from Scripture. He told me that he feels empty all the time. He is not satisfied with his life, and feels terribly alone. "I know that if I believe the gospel, the Holy Spirit would always be with me. I just wish God would help me to help myself," he said. I followed with: "God demands that you worship Him how He wants, not how we want. For as long as you continue in your sins, you will continue to feel that emptiness. You will not receive the Holy Spirit until God saves you from your sins. You need to beg that God would grant to you the ability to turn from your sins and trust in Jesus Christ alone to save you. You will only find peace, and peace with God through Jesus Christ."

I encouraged Chris to read the book of Romans to learn more about the gospel. He currently does not own a Bible, so I said I would get him one. I wrote down a few passages for him to read later on (Romans 1-4, Ephesians 2). All in all, it was a beneficial conversation. Be praying that God might be pleased to save Chris and free him from the captivity of demonic influences and from his sinful nature.

2 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Brother, That is amazingly encouraging!!! It can be so easy to simply try to fix someone's problems, rather than showing them that their sin requires a Savior. Way to share the gospel and remind this guy that peace can only be found through repentance of sin and a new life in Christ. Awesome job with opening up to Ephesians 2. That is one of my favorite gospel passages.

Peace in Christ through repentance of sin, Brent

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

Awesome job on sharing the gift of Christ with others dude!

And for the record, its a quijia board. Not a weegi board.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home