Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Greatest Compliment

Bucks was rockin last nite. I was fairly productive, for being at Starbucks =).

After an enjoyable conversation with Patrick about education, Robert and I had another pleasant discussion about the Gospel. We focused on Rome's view of punishments being imputed to the sinner, and not to Christ. I emphasized a couple passages:

Romans 3:24-25a, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith.

Redemption was accomplished by Jesus Christ. This is not a theoretical, uncertain redemption. Christ has redeemed His people and will save them from their sins (Matt 1:21). The redemption of Christ is not dependent on the creature to be effectual. Notice also that this redemption is a propitiation by satisfying the wrath of God.

Next, we went to my favorite text in the Bible, Romans 4.

Romans 4:6-8, "6 just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: 7 "BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED. 8 "BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT.""

Double imputation. I love this truth. Really, I do. Christians receive the righteousness of Christ, and Christ bears our sin. For the sake of last night's discussion, I emphasized verse 8: "BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT." The word for "account" there is logizomai, meaning to impute, reckon or consider. The Apostle Paul argued that our sin is not imputed to believers. Where then is our sin imputed? The answer to this question takes us to our next passage: Isaiah 53.

Isaiah 53:4-5, "4 Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed."

Our Messiah bore our griefs and sorrows. More than this, He was piereced for our transgressions, and was crushed for our iniquities (guilt, punishment for iniquity). This led me to ask Robert: "If Christ has accomplished redemption for His people by covering them with His righteousness and bearing their sin in His body, thus satisfying the wrath of God, even against all guilt and punishments brought about by sin, why do you believe that the punishments and the guilt of your sin is imputed to you?"

Our conversation ended as Patrick pulled up in his car (Robert and I had migrated outside once Starbucks closed). Patrick asked us if we had resolved anything yet. Robert told him that we were still hashing things out. What Robert said next made me proud to be a Christian ... "Casey sure is hard headed when it comes to what he believes, but he's a good guy." Inside, I was beaming =). I could not have been given a greater compliment by anyone. I have been witnessing to Robert for a long time now. We have spent countless hours examining the Scriptures going over the Gospel of Peace. Amidst our many discussions, I have done my best to not compromise the Gospel, and to set a godly example. I am honored to know that he has recognized my committment to my Gospel ("my Gospel" like the Pauline usage).

Robert and I have become good friends and I hope to remain a true friend to him for as long as we both love Starbucks and Personal Computers (jk folks, come on. gooOOSH) =).

Might God be merciful to my buddy, Robert. If it be the Lord's will, I pray that He be delivered from the enslavement of the Roman system, and brought into the grace of Christ. I will always be praying for him.

Until we meet again,
Case of Base

2 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am encouraged Casey! specially to your "commitment to the Gospel". God is Honored when you do so!

Your friend,

Sus

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Yeah Casey,

Preach it brother! My sin to Christ, Christ's perfection to me. . . all by grace through faith! This is a smokin deal for us. Praise God!!!

Brent

 

Post a Comment

<< Home