Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Cramming

Friday nite I was at Bucks reviewing for a big Greek exam in the morning. Five minutes hadn't pass until I was interrupted by the gentlement sitting in the comfy chair next to me. You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now =). He wanted to know what language I was studying. I showed him my Greek grammar book. He then asked me why I was studying Biblical Greek since the Bible was written in all Hebrew? This allowed me to explain a little about the origins of Scripture, which then led into a discussion on the innerancy, perspicuity, and sufficiency of Scripture. He changed the subject by informing me that all Christians are hypocrites, going to church on Sunday and living contradictory lives throughout the week.I believe he wanted to see how I would react. My response was that those living contradictory lives are not Christians; Christians obey the teachings of Christ. I don't think he expected that sort of response. But he smiled, and then we had a normal conversation.

Turns out the guy was from Latvia, and has citizenships with the European Union and the USA. Thankfully I knew the general location of Latvia - he's offended that most Americans haven't a clue ... Americans, aren't we an interesting bunch? *grin*

My Latvian friend left to catch a movie, so back to my studies I went.

...

As you've correctly assessed, this wasn't the end of my conversations for the night. I was again interrupted, this time by 3 girls who also wanted to know what I was reading. I again showed off my Greek grammar. The immediate question I received in response was a strange one: "So you don't believe the King James Version is the best version of the Bible?" Now, I don't know what they were implying by me studying Greek - that if you have any interest in the Bible's origins you don't read the KJV? =) The conversation went down hill from there. I honestly do not recall talking with a more factious person in a long time. As time progressed I discovered they were King James Onlyist, baptismal regeneration, Oneness Pentecostals. What a messy theology.

I don't know how well the convo went. Putting things in perspective, it's good to remind myself that I can plant seeds, but only God gives the increase. I will be praying for those girls.

Not to worry, I did get some study time in. I think I did well on my exam, but I'll find out next week.

If you're wondering what I had to drink: Eggnog Latte is my drink for the Christmas season, even though they hate making it cause it's loud and takes a long time to make. Mmm, so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home