Monday, April 03, 2006

An Unexpected Witnessing Opportunity

I was at Bucks this weekend – surprise surprise – in hopes of plowing through another ECM book. I had my coffee. I had my usual table. I opened up the book to begin reading about poor ecclesiology when someone asked, “Whatchya reading?” Unsure if I was the one being addressed, I glanced up to discover a woman looking directly at me who had clearly asked the question. I briefly explained what The Relevant Church was all about and my purpose for reading it.

“Are you a Christian?” the woman asked.

“Yes.”

“Protestant or Catholic?”

“Protestant,” I said.

“I’m a devout Catholic. In fact I prep our parish’s kids for Confirmation.”

We introduced ourselves and had a polite discussion for a bit, when she told me her grandma once tried to convert her to Protestantism. Apparently her grandma wasn’t able to communicate the differences between “the Roman Church” and Evangelicals.

I thought aloud, “The two principals of the Reformation are Sola Scriptura and Justification by Faith Alone.”

“Oh, I’m familiar with Sola Scriptura,” she said, “but I’ve not heard a clear explanation of Justification by Faith Alone. Would you like to tell me about it?”

In so many words I answered: “Yes.” =)

We spent most of our time in Romans 3-5. I took her straight through Paul’s argument. The consequences of sin. Christ, the perfect Savior. Regeneration. Faith. Double imputation.

More than once she commented, “Wow. That’s not what we believe at all.”

When I finished with my presentation she gave an accurate summation of the gospel Rome offers: cleansing of original sin with baptism, salvific grace through the sacraments of the church, cooperation with the grace of God, good works are meritorious for salvation, bearing one’s own guilt and being punished for one’s own sin, purgatory, then and only then one is justified. Quite the contrast.

I was able to mention some resources that AOMin offers: books, DVD’s, CD’s. She said she looks forward to studying the Protestant doctrine of Sola Fide on her own – which she is more than capable of doing.

All in all it was an encouraging conversation. Pray for Pearl, that God might be pleased to grant to her repentance unto life.

Rustoleum

3 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Hobster said...

Good grief, man! I've got to start hanging out in coffee shops or something...

way to go

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

I was so encouraged when you told me about that... i will definitely keep her in prayer.

God's Word does not return to Him void...

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

It's amazing how God opens up opportunities to share simply by being in the world. I'm thankful for you man, and the way God uses you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home