Monday, January 30, 2006

Shock-Value Moment

Today was a blessed Lord’s Day. Pastor Fry’s preaching was amazing. We’re working our way through the book of Numbers in the evening for our Old Testament study. I am AMAZED at his ability to preach from passages I wouldn’t dream of choosing to preach from. What’s more is that these unpopular books are allowing for some of the most beneficial sermons I’ve ever heard. I praise God for my pastor. He really works hard at properly handling the Word of God.

After the evening service I hooked up with my old dgroup at GCC. I’ve been spending time with them whenever I can, and let me just say what a blessing it is being with them again. Leaving that group of boys was the most difficult part about leaving Grace, but it is good to be able to see them again. They’ve reached a new point of maturity where we can have meaningful discussions, so each week has become mando exciting. Next week we’re talking about the Sign Gifts having ceased. To prepare, I’ve decided to re-write a few of my blogs into a paper defending Cessationism and Sola Scriptura. I’m really looking forward to it.

If you didn’t read the previous entry, you should =). This week I hope to write a thorough review of Donald Miller’s books as well as a paper on Cessationism. It’ll be a busy week. The good news is I’ll be posting some laid back posts until I finish those =).

Now we come to the title of this entry … had to properly lead into the time frame *grin*

After dgroup, Tim (Dan’s co-leader for the group) and I stood outside talking. As we were walking to our cars Tim suddenly asked if I knew “Jen Nelson”? I froze in my tracks. It was a real shock-value moment for me. Jen Nelson is my old buddy Scott’s older sister (haha, does that makes sense?). Scott was my best friend from 6th grade until about 3 years ago when he became a Hyper-Preterist. Out of all the strife and turmoil that came during that period in my life, the hardest loss was losing Scott’s friendship. I’ve jokingly thought to myself that it took damnable heresy to split us apart =). He was a good friend and I miss him. So I asked Tim if I could get Jen’s phone number so I can get Scott’s number. I’m not sure how it’ll go over, but I want to check up on him and see how he’s doing. Heak, I just wanna talk to him. When I heard the name “Jen Nelson,” my thoughts immediately went to Scott. I thought about the many good times we had; then our falling out. It brought back all the good and the painful memories. I had some teary-eyed moments. Isn’t it interesting how hearing someone’s name can bring up a zillion emotions and memories?

I have no idea how calling Scott will go over. But I have to believe that even if he still is a Hyper-Preterist, we can pleasantly catch up on life. This is something I have to do. I definitely would appreciate your prayers about this – if you can’t tell, I’m pretty nervous.

My prayer has been that God might be pleased to grant Scott repentance from this heresy, if he hasn’t already turned back to the truth. I’m reminded of Paul when he wrote 2 Timothy 2:24-25, 24The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, 25with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, 26and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.” Interestingly enough, Paul is specifically talking about those who say the resurrection of the dead has already taken place (which is one of the many heresies taught by Hyper-Preterists). May the Lord’s will be done.

Titus 2:13,
Casey

3 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

My prayers are with you brother, and please update us on how everything goes with calling Scott.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Well friend, It's been a few days and I want to hear how the convo went with Scott. In prayer, Brent

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

Brent!

Thank you so much for checking up on that. I actually haven't talked with him yet. I will let you know as soon as I do though. Lord willing, soon.

We should chill sometime =)

CoB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home