Thursday, December 16, 2004

Starbucks Adventures

Starbucks. Isn't it wonderful? I mean, seriously now - Starbucks is a beautiful thing. Cool place to chill. Comphy chairs. Good coffee, and other various asundry beverages.

At my Starbucks, getting anything accomplished is next to impossible. I have a rapport with my employees and with the regulars. Aaaand I have a tendency to get into conversation with them. Yet 5 (or more) days a week I go to Bucks to "read."

So Tuesday nite I was at my Bucks, reading (I really was!), when I bumped into an old buddy from high skewl. As we were catching up, I asked what church he was going to. He told me that he wasn't interested in going to church any longer. This, coming from a guy who was a staunch agnostic, then had a miraculous conversion to the Christian Faith! So I asked him if he still considered himself a Christian? He asked me to define Christian. I told him that the Apostle Paul labeled those who followed the apostles' teachings as Christians. "By your definition, I am not a Christian." I was shocked! Naturally, we talked about what happened...he struggled with some of Christianity's central doctrines, and fell away. We continued our conversation... but it just wasn't the same. The Scripture is very clear about those who fall away from the faith: "They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us" (1 John 2:19). As much as it pains me to admit, my friend has demonstrated that he was never a Christian to begin with. He was the seed Jesus spoke about who received the truth with joy, but had no root and when faced with affliction or persectution immediately falls away (Matthew 13:20-21). My prayer is that the Lord might have mercy upon my friend by granting him the ability to repent and have saving faith.

Tonight, I was reading (I swear, I was) and met a new employee: James. James is a Christian at Word of Grace. We ended up chatting till 1am about a number of topics: Church History, the innerancy of Scripture, the perspicuity of Scripture, the Trinity, the Gospel, Justification by Faith, Sola Scriptura. Very encouraging convo. Anywho, I recommended to him three books: The Forgotten Trinity, The God Who Justifies, and Scripture Alone - all by Dr. James R. White. I personally believe that every Christian should read these books, each for their own reasons. It looks like James and I will be going through these books together (I do not mind going over these books again - I need the refresher). It was a blessing meeting James, and I look forward to hanging out with him in the future.

Btw, wut'd ya'll think of Oceans 12?

Off to watch another Smallville episode,
Rusty

2 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

I do not like Smallville, they ruined superman.

And Oceans 12 is worth seeing once, you will not be entertained more than that

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger rustypth said...

Well then I guess now isn't the right time to ask if you wanted to start watching Smallville annually? =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home