Friday, December 10, 2004

2 Dogs Fighting Within My Soul - Grrrrrr

I was a sophomore in high skewl the first time I was exposed to the "2 Dogs" analogy. My discipleship group was going through Romans 7 and used the "2 Dogs" analogy to explain the Christian's struggle against the flesh. The analogy goes like this: Everyone is born with a sinful nature. When you become a Christian, you receive a second nature. Now these two natures are struggling inside you, much like 2 dogs fighting over their territory. You are holding the leash for each dog and it is you who decide which dog is in control at any given moment.

A good buddy recently questioned my belief that Christians have two natures: the sinful nature, and a new nature. He was under the impression that Christians have one nature, while retaining indwelling sin. He quoted to me 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." My response was, well, let's just say I did not give a meaningful response =)

Now, my buddy must be wrong. He must be. After all, what I believed seemed to make sense.

Later that night I immersed myself in the two systematic theologies I possess: Robert Reymond's and Louis Berkhof's. Btw, if you do not have both of these works, I strongly strongly recommend purchasing them. Here is what Reymond has to say:
"Regeneration is not the replacing of the substance of fallen human nature with another substance, nor simply the change in one or more of the faculties of the fallen spiritual nature, nor the perfecting of the fallen spiritual nature. Rather, it is the subconscious implanting of the principle of the new spiritual life in the soul, effecting, an instantaneous change int he whole man, intellectually, emotionally, and morally, and enabling the elect sinner to respond in repentance and faith to the outward or public gospel proclamation directed to his conscious understanding and will" (Reymond, 720-721).

Don't think for a minute that a cursory reading of Reymond's A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith would change my mind. The following day I was talking to more friends about the subject - to further examine my traditions. Finally, I decided to run my thoughts by the Dark Knight (that swing dancing machine!). Thankfully, DK and I have similar backgrounds, enabling him to explain how the "2 Dogs" analogy is deficient in communicating the work of regeneration.

It was then that I understood my error: we don't receive a second nature to reside with the sinful nature. Rather, when the sinner is born-again he is now spiritually alive to the things of God - even though he struggles against indwelling sin (the flesh).

I know Michael Ly and Brent are laughing right about now. Thanks for your patience guys. This was a classic example of someone (me) holding too tightly to his traditions.

So there ya have it folks. "Yay, yay!" *And there was much rejoicing*


2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

I hear ya there Case.

Having once been an Arminian I understand why we want to contribute something to our salvation or santification process. ANd the reality is that we do, we contribute sin. Isn't that awesome, we bring everything bad into our santification and God brings everything good. It is not I, but Christ that lives within me.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Hey Casey,

I am very encouraged by your desire to search the scriptures, read other books, and talk with other believers in order to best understand theology. Your love for the Word and right doctrine motivates me to be the approved workman that does not need to be ashamed, but accurately handles the Word of truth. Blessings bro, Brent Klontz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home