Wednesday, December 05, 2007

My View Has Been in the Works

It has taken me a few years but I think I’ve settled on a view of the war in Iraq. As of now, I do not support what our armed forces are doing in Iraq. Don’t mistake me for a liberal, however, because the reasoning that led to my conclusion is very different than that of Democrats. My view stems from one basic belief: a nation of Muslims cannot tolerate Democracy.

Throughout history, Muslims have been a warring people. They expand through aggressive means, killing those who are unwilling to convert, even killing each other – all in the name of Allah. The clash between Islam and the West today and over the past 14 centuries should be enough to for us to realize that Islam does not tolerate non-Islamic peoples.

Back in 2003, I thought our great nation did the right thing by invading and toppling Saddam’s oppressive regime. I vehemently disagree with the liberals that make the point that since we have not discovered any nuclear weapons our invasion into Iraq was a mistake. It is true that we have not found any nuclear weapons; what we have found are biological and chemical weapons like serrin gas. We know for a fact that Saddam was trying to obtain nukes and that he had threatened to use them against our ally, Israel. Add to that, Hussein had violated a dozen United Nations resolutions and was playing games with the weapons inspectors searching Iraq for w.m.d.’s. All of this pales in comparison with the intelligence of every nation of the world (including our own nation’s intelligence, and that of England, Germany, Russia and China), which all said the same thing: Saddam was presently in possession of nuclear weapons of mass destruction. But Saddam was equally bold in asserting that he did not have w.m.d.’s. What were we to do? Stand by and hope for the best? Were we going to trust the intelligence information of the civilized world, or were we going to trust the word of a known supporter of terrorism?

There was only one answer: in a post-9/11 world, where the realities of terrorism were ever-present, we could not afford to stand by while a madman, like Saddam, posed a threat to the civilized world.

And so we, with our allies, invaded Iraq.

A question might be rightly asked of me: When do you believe we should have left Iraq? If you will allow me to preface my answer by saying that I hold my particular view with the luxury of hindsight. I do not want to pretend that I could have done a better job than our President did, because I think he deserves our respect for doing the best that he could with the information that he had. Having said that, I would have had us leave Iraq shortly after leaving the government in shambles and ensuring that their military capabilities were demolished.

Another question might also be asked: Since we didn’t leave but rather set up a government in Iraq, when do you now propose that we leave? Even though I don’t believe any lasting form of Democracy will survive in Iraq (so long as it is run by Muslims), I believe that because we have committed ourselves to the government, we should give them our support for the time being. However, I do have trouble even fully convincing myself of this point. Feel free to offer persuasion =).

There you have it: my view on the war in Iraq =)

Until our next meeting,
Rusty

4 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger wefell said...

Hey man, how's it going?

I have also reconsidered my position on the war. Like you, I no longer think democracy is a good thing in and of itself. The gospel is what needs to be spread around the world. And that should be done by churches, individuals, ministries, etc.

I am still having trouble with justifying going into Iraq to begin with. I do believe that Saddam was a threat to civilization, but so is the U.S. when we allow millions of unborn babies to be murdered. I think the solution needs to happen at the family level, with the spread of the gospel and Christian values.

Also, similar to the idea that democracy is not going to bring peace to an Islamic region, I don't think getting rid of any particular leader will bring peace to an Islamic region.

I think using force can be justified if Iraq was a threat to us. But I am not sure that Saddam's military was capable of launching an attack on our soil. I think we could have put the money into defense if we thought that was a possibility, instead of invasion.

Maybe the commitments we have with our allies might justify going in, if they were in some kind of danger. I don't know much about that. I tend to be against entangling alliances.

""Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." -Thomas Jefferson

I am definitely not absolutely sure about many of my opinions though. I probably could not have done a better job than President Bush either.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

Hey Steve! Long time no see buddy =). How's life goin?

I would agree with you that America has her own problems, like abortion, but we aren't a real threat to other states around the world. Iraq was a threat to the world by pursuing wmd's, so we acted with our own interests and the interests of our allies.

That's an interesting quote by Jefferson, but he lived in a different time where America was divided by a vast ocean that separated the globe. We don't really have the luxury of being as isolationist as we once were.

On the flip side, I don't want to be more involved than we should be. However, when it comes to a Muslim dictator threatening surrounding nations and our own nation with nuclear weapons, I support taking such a government down.

I am firm believer in Democracy. It might be the best form of government for a fallen world because it does the best job of restraining evil and removing the temptation of a single individual rising to power. [Though the best form of government is an absolute monarch run by God ... but that will come with the 2nd coming of our Lord].

Why doesn't Democracy work with Islam? Because Muslims set up Sharia Law which removes freedom of speech, religion, the press, and peaceful assembly.

Unfortunately, we should hope that Islamic nations remain in the Dark Ages, and ununified so that they pose as little threat to the Western world as possible. In history, every time Muslims have united they posed a serious threat. I pray that day never comes.

Good thoughts bro =)

Casey of Basey

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Hobster said...

We don't really have the luxury of being as isolationist as we once were.

There's a HUGE difference between being an isolationist and not wanting to be the world's (unasked for) policeman, for interfering in other nations' politics.

The War was and is unjust, we cannot afford (in any sense) to stay there "to support the government," (how long do we have to support them? We've been in S. Korea for 50 years! Are we talking about something similar?) we have no right to be there, and are only making more enemies by doing so. The creation of permanent US bases in Iraq is a recipe for disaster.

We need to bring our troops home immediately. Beef up our defense, our borders, and let Iraq deal with Iraq's issues. We would bristle at any other nation coming in, guns blazing, and telling us how to govern ourselves--we should give the same consideration to others.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger rustypth said...

Hobs!

I’m listening to Jewel’s “The First Noel” in honor of you =)

I said: “That's an interesting quote by Jefferson, but he lived in a different time where America was divided by a vast ocean that separated the globe. We don't really have the luxury of being as isolationist as we once were.”

What I did not mean is that we have the right to stick our nose in everybody else’s business, or as you put it: “be[ing] the world’s (unasked for) policeman.” In response to Steve’s Jefferson quote, I meant that it is not wrong to form alliances with likeminded nations – like Israel.

Saddam made Iraq our business when he began pursuing nuclear weapons and threatening us and our allies, though I completely agree with you that I wish we had not tried to set up a government after demolishing the Iraqi government/military. The fact that Saddam Hussein is no longer in power is a good thing for us. But we should not have tried to set up a government for the post-Saddam Iraq.

My only concern for leaving Iraq now is that since we have already done so much I feel as though we share in the responsibility for what happens to them. Had we left Iraq immediately post-Saddam I don’t think there would be a question of our responsibility, but we didn’t leave right away – and now I wonder how we should proceed. If we leave we know the region will blow up, and I don’t want innocent people to needlessly die especially since we are at least partially responsible for the Iraqi government. It’s tricky, that’s all I’m saying.

I appreciate your thoughts, though.

The Rusted One

 

Post a Comment

<< Home