Thursday, March 22, 2007

"For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night"

A glooming peace this morning with it brings.
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head.
Go hence to have more talk of these sad things.
Some shall be pardoned and some punished.
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

(Shakespeare 327).

A tragic ending is befitting of tragic words, and Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet” concluded in proper form. It was an honest pleasure to read through such well-written prose and poetry. On the same token I equally enjoyed the hate, malice, murders, secrets, and general ungodliness throughout the story – do notice my cynicism =). My reasons for reading this work were twofold: First, to become familiar with this famous piece of literature. The second reason may prove to be more concrete, and that is my desire to perhaps borrow some poetry for the future towards a girl whom, to my knowledge, I have yet to meet *innocent smile*. Whichever reason dominates the other, I am able to say boldly that Shakespeare was a remarkable writer. Romeo and Juliet’s circumstances go from bad to worse, and it is a bit unnerving to watch sinful people not do anything right. For me it served as a warning of what not to do. For example, I was reminded to always tell the truth, whenever possible.

My expectations going into the play were not met, but I do recognize that this play is not as novel as it was during the 1600’s =). We have new stories to choose from almost daily, so it is a little unfair of me to remove Shakespeare from the context he was in.

To those who have read “Romeo and Juliet,” is it my imagination or was Shakespeare a pervert? I’m unable to count all the sexual references and puns made throughout the story. On every other page most of the main characters were continuously using foul language, making crude jokes and had a non-serious attitude about sex in general.

Yet, as distasteful as I found the barrage of sexual discussion, I did enjoy much of the romantic dialogue.

Not long after Romeo first lays eyes on Juliet he proclaims this to no one in particular:

Oh, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
As a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear,
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear.
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows
As yonder lady o’er her fellows shows.
The measure done, I’ll watch her place of stand,
And, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand.
Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight,
For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.
(Shakespeare 105).

See what I mean?

As time permits, I intend on reading through a number of Shakespeare’s plays. My roommate, Scott, tells me that “Henry V” is an incredible story. So that's next, then others.

That’s it from the Shakespearian front.

By and by until we meet thee again,
Rusty

5 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Hobster said...

Yeah, Shakespeare's overrated, IMHO (tho I'd disagree with the idea that we have new stories).

Pervert? Nah. You just have ill-informed expectations of content. You'll learn fast tho.

Henry V is a good place to visit next. The Scottish Play, and Hamlet, of course, too. On the comedic side...nah, never mind. If R&J was a too blue for you, stay away from the comedies.


Now, I must ask--how is is possible that you graduated High School without reading this play!?!?!? (much less any Shakespeare from the sounds of it)

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger rustypth said...

I am certain that I read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet in high school, but I enjoyed them so much that my memory has all but lost the major plot points =)

You are probably correct that since Romeo and Juliet's constant barraging of innappropriate sexual content offended me (as it should), that I would find even more gross humour to be that much more offensive. Nevertheless I do hope to read most of his famous plays if for no other reason than the imapct they have had on our culture.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger David & Paige said...

I'm a huge fan of the Bard!...My favorite plays are Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, and Richard III (...which includes a great insight into the depth of man's natural depravity!).

I appreciate your thoughts on Romeo & Juliet; I don't care for that one at all!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

My Favs:

12th Night
Much Ado About Nothing
Taming of the Shrew
Othello
Midsummer Night's Dream (Go Puck!)
and of course, Macbeth!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger The Paasch-inator said...

I'm no scholar of Shakespeare, but Much Ado About Nothing is a masterpiece in wit and humor. Can't remember much crude humor, to be honest... you should definitely try that one out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home