Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Letter to a Mormon

Sorry for the slow updates … my plate has been full lately =). I’ve been busy with numerous AOMin emails, so the next few updates will probably be apologetic in nature (“Yay, yay!” And there was much rejoicing). Below is my response to Danny, a Latter-day Saint, who was pretty upset at Alpha and Omega. I kept Proverbs 15:1 in mind while writing my response.

Update: To my surprise, Danny replied this morning. We will hopefully continue discussing how many true gods exist. I’ll keep ya posted on how it goes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Danny,

Hey, I just want to say that I'm sorry you and other "Apologetic" groups are so hard-hearted toward the LDS faith.

If by “hard-hearted” you mean that we are not Latter-day Saints or do not believe in the teachings of the LDS faith, then you are correct. To be fair though, are you not also in the same position when it comes to our faith?

In no manner have we bashed on your churches or other churches; yet, we put up with it all day, at work, school, in the news, and from you guys.

You seem to imply that we have “bashed on your church.” How have we done this? Or by “bash” do you mean that we openly disagree and seek to peaceably dialogue with the LDS people?

We try to keep peace, and yet you guys bring upon so much contention among religions.

If by “contention” you mean that we seek to dialogue with others who hold different religious faiths, then yes we do. But then again, are not Latter-day Saints guilty of the same thing? Does not the Mormon Church send out thousands upon thousands of missionaries around the globe? Does this make the Mormon people contentious? Certainly not. But neither are we contentious for proclaiming what we believe.

We have nothing against other religions, we just know that ours is the true church. Isn't that what all Christian churches believe.

The following is from Joseph Smith’s First Vision account: “18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.””

When you said: “We have nothing against other religions,” did you mean that you hold nothing against other religions except that they are wrong? Consider how the Father, Son and Holy Ghost answered Joseph’s inquiry about which church to join: he should join none of them because they are all wrong, their creeds are an abomination, those who profess these religions are corrupt, and lack true godliness. It seems to me that you should have something against other religions. You should believe that other religions are false – in fact, the First Vision says just that.

I am no different. I believe that the teachings of Mormonism are wrong. I believe that the gods of Mormonism are false gods and not the true god of the Bible. I believe that the gospel of Mormonism is false and cannot save sinners.

So, here's a way you can walk the walk bestowed upon you by your name... Say you're sorry, and try acting "Apologetic" to the oh so many churches (being that I'm not only here in behalf of the LDS fgaith) that you have caused contention among.

You have completely misunderstood how we are using the term “apologetics.” “Apologetics” comes from the word we translate as “defense” in 1 Peter 3:15. Apologetics is concerned with the defense of Christianity. “Apologetics” has nothing to do with saying you’re sorry. We are not sorry for defending and positively proclaiming what we believe.

There are two reasons we are so passionate about proclaiming our beliefs to those of other religious faiths: (1) First and foremost, out of love for God. We believe that God is glorified in the preaching of His truth. (2) Secondly, we love those of other religious faiths, such as the Latter-day Saints, and want nothing more than Mormons to embrace the one true God of the Bible.

So, I hope that you have a turn of heart.

I pray the same for you as well, Danny.

So, damn it, get a move on!

Ephesians 4:29, “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.”

I would be more than happy to continue dialogue with you, Danny. Might I suggest a topic: how many true gods exist? This is our most significant disagreement.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Casey Ryan
AOMin

4 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Wow! Those are some powerful discussions that you are having! God has really blessed you with a gift to speak the truth clearly from his Word. I pray that Danny would continue to write you and come to know the true God of the Bible.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Brent Klontz said...

That was really encouraging for me to read through Case. Praise God for that opportunity and I pray that Danny would have a soft heart!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Hey Casey

I was wondering if you thought Scripture Alone would be a good book to read, since John mentioned he talked to you about some questions I've had. I already ordered it(heh) but wondered if you thought it dealt with the issues I was having.

Take care and I enjoyed the blog!

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

Adam,

Yo man! Scripture Alone DEFINITELY will help you with many of your questions. Also, you should buy The King James Only Controversy - even though it is more in-depth with regards to the transmission and translation of the text, but I believe most Christians would greatly benefit from studying how we got our Bible, and hence should read it =)

both books r0x0rz

also, not sure if John forwarded you a Word .doc that I typed up for my old junior high group GCC. If not, send me an email and I'll forward you the .doc.

rusty@rustypth.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home