Thursday, May 25, 2006

TDVC

You’ve waited for almost a week now for Casey’s take on “The DaVinci Code,” well today is that glorious day – well, maybe not “glorious,” but whatever =).

I was sort of expecting multitudes of DaVinci followers to show up in costume or something. But I couldn’t find any of them. There appeared to be little reaction to the film at all – good or bad. The movie played for 2.5 hours, the lights brightened up, and everyone left the theater. There was no applause. No shouting. No Hooray’s. I honestly felt that most people were bored with the movie. They were glad it was over – maybe glad to have seen it – but glad it was over nonetheless.

Personally, I was not bored for a single moment. But I’m not an ordinary person either =). My motivation for watching TDVC was completely different than most folks: I was there so that I could give a meaningful response to the film. I gave the movie my full attention and was fascinated by it.

Tom Hanks and Ian McKellen were great, as always. McKellen’s reasons for playing Teabing were obvious: so that he could play the most anti-Christian role in the film. What I did not expect was how offended I would be at hearing the many heresies brought out in the film. I wanted to scream out of pure frustration. Thankfully, I don’t think many people bought it. Tom Hanks’ character, Langdon, played a much more conservative role than in the book. In fact, Hanks’ character served as the only challenge to TDVC’s theories. Contrary to the book, this left the strong impression that TDVC’s theories were indeed fiction, and nothing more. Praise God for that.

If you are an unbeliever, or an undiscerning believer – I do not recommend this film.

If you are a discerning believer – I do recommend this film.

After the movie, me and the two friends I was with tried to witness to a Mormon who was with us. Our strategy was quite simple really: talk about the film, and the conversation will naturally turn towards the gospel. Isn’t it amazing how apologetically minded Christians think alike? Unfortunately this LDS fellow was completely unwilling to even talk about the movie. I’ve never seen such unwillingness before. We certainly could have forced the conversation, but that would have been casting pearls before swine. Pray for this young LDS guy.

I wonder what a Latter-day Saint’s perspective of “The DaVinci Code” would look like? What would they find offensive? Early Mormon leaders taught that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene … which is an interesting fact to consider. Anywho, just food for thought.

The Count

4 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger JJ Brenner said...

I'm glad that you were interested in the movie. I as well went to see the film to give the most complete response I could, it just bored me so much that I could barely pay attention.

Anyways, I agree with you on the points about the characters. Langdon didn't seem to fit with the way that Brown painted him in his novel, and McKellan's character was indeed, offensive.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger The Paasch-inator said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger The Paasch-inator said...

Thank you for the insightful input, Casey. I may just follow your advice and see it... I confess I started reading the book but found it completely revolting (and grossly ill-written, too!) However, I do see that there may be a necessity to have a grasp on the heresy that constitutes the infamous "Code" in order to better defend our faith and our Lord. Who knows... I may just see it someday.
(Emphasis on the "someday"!)

Thanks again, Count Casie. God bless.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger rustypth said...

Hey CJ,

For Christians, the “big deal” is that TDVC is a book and film that attacks the very foundations of what we belief: from the reliability of the Scriptures to the divinity of Christ. As a believer my faith is not weakened by the movie, but it does offend me. Now to the undiscerning believer, it might throw him into a host of issues he isn’t prepared to deal with. I prefer for Christians to be prepared to give a reason for the hope that we have (1 Pet 3:15) beforehand, rather than scrambling to find the answers afterwards.

If you’re a non-believer, God might use the film to further harden your heart to the gospel.

The movie has no positive effects whatsoever.

While the Roman Catholic Church certainly is heretical in more ways than one, TDVC distorts history to sell the story. And for this Protestant to even say that, you know I’m telling the truth =)

I’m glad you ordered Madden’s work. You will love it! Lemme know how it goes!

Casey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home